Serious Discussion Everything about Windows 12 - Release date and Rumors

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
@Captain Holly: I'm surprised you found Linux Mint "too convoluted and strange and hard to find/figure out solutions to problems with it". I found it very easy to move from Windows to Mint but maybe it depends on what you programs you use with it. I think the average user would find Linux Mint easier than Windows but I agree that most will never try it.
I am not saying Mint was bad, but I will say it was more of a situation where I could not get some things to work like I wanted. I used Firefox in Mint for a long time but wanted a backup/secondary browser, I had used Vivaldi in Windows before so thought I would try it in Mint. Vivaldi worked ok except for one thing, I listen to Pandora a lot when I am online and Vivaldi kept throwing an error saying it could not play the audio. I spent a long time googling a solution, nothing I found worked. I did find there were a lot of other Pandora users with the same problem though. I also tried Brave, thinking Pandora might work OK with Brave in Mint, but I never got that far with it. Brave would not install any extensions, no matter what I tried. I think both problems were due to Linux not allowing me to manually update either browser.

There were a few other things that maybe were not that hard to do but still took more work and more computer skills than what I have. The Mint Forum was a big help but I finally just went back to Windows if for no other reason it is more familiar. If I have a problem in Windows I generally know where to look to fix it or at least get started fixing it. With Mint I had to go online looking for the sudo apt xxx whatever command lines before I could even get started. That was a pain and I am not good enough or familiar enough with the terminal to get anywhere with it.

I use Media Monkey to play my own MP3 collection, but it is not available in Mint. I read too many bad things about Wine to try to use Media Monkey in Wine. I did look at Wine a time or two anyway but it just didn't make any sense to me. I did really like the Lollypop music player in Mint, and I wish it was available in Windows. The newer Windows Media Player is similar to Lollypop but it's just not as loud as Lollypop. There were other things in Mint that threw me off. I am kind of a hands-on user in Windows, I like to check my task manager and C drive properties pretty often and doing that in Mint was very foreign to me. I did eventually come to sort of understand the Stacer monitor and System monitor but still never really understood what was being reported beyond just the most basic functions.

I am not completely set against Mint or any other distro. I may come back to Linux someday, and really put in the effort to learn it, especially depending on what happens with Windows 12. Then again, Windows 12/24H2 might wind up being a whole lot of nothing. It's hard to say right now. I just put a new 1TB ssd and a 16GB ram stick in my laptop recently and am very happy with how everything is working in Windows. For now I will just leave well enough alone, and hope that MS will do the same.

C.H.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Something has changed in that regard. :(

(emphasis mine)

The instruction requires a processor that supports SSE4.2 or SSE4a.
It's not a big deal in my opinion. While Windows 11 ran well on my 18 year old Core 2 Duo laptop, once I disabled Defender, I doubt there are many people who want to run Windows 11 on hardware that old. I note that the 1st gen i5 in my one of my laptops, is compatible with the new requirements.

NormanF

Level 8
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
It's not a big deal in my opinion. While Windows 11 ran well on my 18 year old Core 2 Duo laptop, once I disabled Defender, I doubt there are many people who want to run Windows 11 on hardware that old. I note that the 1st gen i5 in my one of my laptops, is compatible with the new requirements.

You could run Windows 11 LTSC until EOL. Its supported for 10 years.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.