Advice Request [Windows 7-10] What would be in your opinion the most lightweight yet effective security?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Electr0n

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
Hello MTers,
as I have seen here that almost every member here has his own customised security setup with various parts chosen by them carefully. The more experienced users here also help others to build similar setups that takes into consideration every perceivable cyber threat out there and thus make truly comprehensive setups. While some of these setups are spectacular and almost look impenetrable, they are sometimes heavy on weaker machines. However I thought what would a security setup look like with minimal number of components that's not heavy on the system, easy to use even for a non-techie yet robust enough considering the fact that the user is average (i.e. neither a happy clicker nor a VT-addict). So what are your thoughts?

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Comodo Firewall-@cruelsister's settings or any way honestly (substitute CIS or CCAV too)
NVT OSArmor-Great machine level kernel policy enforcer and very light

Set UAC on at the highest settings. OSArmor is still in early stages so it still can be helped with a little configuration. Can be run with all but maybe 25 or so of the settings on without risk of lock outs on boot

P

plat1098

Since there is an evil djinn dwelling in my machine at all times, it's:

Windows Defender/firewall tweaked + NVT OSArmor w/custom settings + AppCheck anti-ransomware (out of box)

Browser hardening: uBlock Origin and Adguard. Lists are maintained routinely.

OSArmor and AppCheck are ideal for Windows Defender, tiny with resources and neither costs any money. They are solid out of the box but the former may need tweaking depending on what's installed. My machine's hardware likewise makes it easy for Defender and there are no System errors/conflicts or performance impacts (very important). But hey, that's me.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Lightest, easiest and cheapest config is like @AtlBo said: Comodo Firewall at CruelSister settings.

In short, that means to install Comodo Firewall without the AV component, switch to proactive config, and turn off HIPS protection. (I personally would also turn off the web protection, I think it slows down browsing and is not worth the trouble.)

Since you are on Windows 7, you won't even have to disable Windows Defender. Just run CFW and practice good user habits.

If you are a bit more ambitious, and want even stronger protection, use ReHIPS instead of Comodo Firewall. As long as you don't feel the need to sandbox Chrome or other multi-process browsers, you can use the demo version of ReHIPS without prob.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
1. Setup DNS servers (in your area) blocking known malware domains, like Yandex Safe or UltraDNS Threat
2. AV - FortiClient - Disable proxy for the max performance (Disables Web Security)
3. Windows 10 Firewall Control: Sphinx Software (to get control over Windows Firewall)
4. Browser extensions: Adguard (Malware/Spyware/EasyPrivacy filters) and Netcraft (to block phishing)
5. Get an ondemand scanner like HitmanPro, which can perform a quick scan at startup or Emsisoft Emergency Kit

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Most lightest av out there is your BRAIN..no upgrades nor updates required...
Have an eye on what u click and download or Execute..Simply secure..
Periodic scans with SOS..and rogue killer should keep u in track...W.Defender serves most of the part

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
The lightest I remember and tested was GhostWall Firewall and GeSWall...the lightest I used for longer time was GSW and Kerio PFW.
At this time the lightest combo on my machines is SpyShelter FW and Shadow Defeder.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hello MTers,
However I thought what would a security setup look like with minimal number of components that's not heavy on the system, easy to use even for a non-techie yet robust enough considering the fact that the user is average (i.e. neither a happy clicker nor a VT-addict). So what are your thoughts?
For Windows 10 only?

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Most lightest av out there is your BRAIN..no upgrades nor updates required...
Have an eye on what u click and download or Execute..Simply secure..
Periodic scans with SOS..and rogue killer should keep u in track...W.Defender serves most of the part
Hi Mahesh Sudula, I'm with your thoughts.... in addition to browser defense you can use
Policy Control,
Browser JSGuard,
Redirect Control,
Privacy Defense
ZenMate Web Firewall - very easy 5 extensions/add-ons!
.. too AdGuardAdBlocker and Gif Block/HideGIFS if you wish

D

Deleted member 65228

Windows Firewall, User Account Control, SmartScreen, uBlock browser extension combined Avast Anti-Virus (Free & custom installation) for the real-time, web protection and behaviour shield only.

Well, it might be a tad heavy because of the real-time but that configuration with Avast Hardened Mode enabled can be really good. It's still "simple" in my opinion whilst still providing nice protection and not being super heavy or complicated to manage.

Data collection disabled via settings as well to make Avast behave less intrusively, of course there is going to still be some form of data collection but it would drastically reduce it at-least.

Last edited by a moderator:

Electr0n

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
For Windows 10 only?
Windows 7 and up.

Comodo Firewall-@cruelsister's settings or any way honestly (substitute CIS or CCAV too)
NVT OSArmor-Great machine level kernel policy enforcer and very light

Set UAC on at the highest settings. OSArmor is still in early stages so it still can be helped with a little configuration. Can be run with all but maybe 25 or so of the settings on without risk of lock outs on boot
wouldn't UAC be redundant while using CFW in CS settings?

Well, you can use Norton DNS + Comodo Firewall or just use Linux ;)
After windows 7 support ends I am thinking of moving to Linux mint, however I have tried before to make windows 7 and linux mint to dual boot, but some error regarding partitioning wouldn't let me succeed and I couldn't take the risk to hamper my already stable windows 7 installation. When the time comes, can I ask you for help?

So the common opinion here is to use comodo firewall at cruel sister settings, along with any antivirus, then adding other components as per liking of the user.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.