Troubleshoot Windows 7 Laptop Blue Screen Help!!

Voltron

Thread author
May 27, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Blue screen, fan, laptop
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
manual starting of fan
Hey there.

So my laptop shows a blue screen within 30 mins from the moment it was turned on, no matter what I do with it. Its been doing this for about two weeks now, and I have no clue as to what would be causing this issue. I havent downloaded anything major recently, and I have not changed any configurations.

One thing I am suspecting of being the cause is my fan - Since about a year and a half ago, my laptop would sometimes beep when it turned on, and I had to manually give the fan a kick start for it to operate. Otherwise windows would shut down after a short while. Nowadays I dont get that at all, but instead I get this blue screen every 30 minutes. Could it have died completely and be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
what is the BSOD code? please upload a copy of your minidumps (C:\Windows\Minidump)

forgot about the fan, can you replace it or clean it?

Upvote 0

Voltron

Thread author
May 27, 2015
Forgot to include a picture of it. Sorry!

Attachments

• 20150524_123345-1.jpg
    20150524_123345-1.jpg
    717.5 KB · Views: 512
Upvote 0

songoku316

Level 6
Verified
Jul 25, 2014
test stability in windows safe mode F8 then scan with hitmanpro

check temperatures with Core Temp or Aida

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

Please provide copies of files located at C:\Windows\Minidump folder

Problem with iaStor.sys

Upvote 0

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Did u test in safe mode? Try bott ur pc in safe mode for 1 hour & see if it's crash again. BSOD can be of incompatible drivers/hardware, faulty memory stick, application error etc.

Reactions: Terry Ganzi
Upvote 0

Voltron

Thread author
May 27, 2015
As for the DMP files, there are many, each with varying sizes. They seem to be named by the date at which it crashed, but Im not sure how I can open them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Voltron

Thread author
May 27, 2015
Thanks for the replies guys, but Im not sure what you really mean by "update THE driver" or "run IT in safe mode". Not sure what youre referring to. Im kinda new to this so would appreciate it if you would explain more in detail :)

EDIT: Ive tried safe mode, and it crashes even faster, within minutes :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
can u tell me what programs & security products u installed in ur PC? Why don't u try to update ur outdated drivers if u have any? u can get drivers from manufacturer's site, if u r not sure about this give me ur system requirements eg motherboard model, gpu etc

Upvote 0

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Do yourself a big favour and dump the windows operating system altogether and install a linux distro and enjoy years of hassle free computing.:confused:

Upvote 0

Voltron

Thread author
May 27, 2015
Sorry for the ridiculously late response guys. I was talking with a computer professional about this, and he couldnt suggest me much than to reinstall windows 7. I have important files in the computer I do not want to lose, and so I was stuck in the middle not knowing what to do. I tried updating all the new drivers I could think of, replaced new RAM back with the old ones, updated iaStor, but it didnt solve the problem.

Then someone suggested a solution that involved in me deleting the iaStor.sys file as a whole. Long story short, now my windows always fails to start and tells me to fix startup, in which it says the problem cannot be fixed. I am stuck in a loop.

Is there a way I can reinstall iaStor without starting up windows? At this point I think my only option is to reinstall windows 7, but I dont want to lose my files in my harddrive.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
If you reinstall Windows 7 and don't format your the drive it will save a folder "Windows.old" all your old files will be saved there.You can move them to an external drive/USB and then use the Windows disk cleanup to remove the Windows.old file if you need the HDD space

Upvote 0

Voltron

Thread author
May 27, 2015
Thanks! Ive reinstalled Windows 7, got my files back, and I havent seen a BSOD since. (Hopefully never again)

Thank you all who have given me advice, wouldnt have got here without you. :D

Reactions: Koroke San
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.