Solved Windows 7 new install stuck on checking for updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
I have tried several solutions to get the updates working but nothing is helping at this point.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
thank
You can use this offline updater : WSUS Offline Update
It doesn't solve the problem but at least you can update Windows.
you getting windows updated was the main issue. I am running it now

But if anyone has a way to get windows updates working that would be great too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
on a new install of win 7 when I click on windows update ...that window opens and it just stays of checking for updates
I ran the MS fix ...no luck
I did the fix with services to stop all the processes associated with it and then in sysytem32 rename 2 of them to .old and then restart
the services. ...no luck
one time I found, from ms a standaloner installer that got it going but when it tried to do the 198 updates they all failed and I could
not get udates to work again to do a few at a time.
Also I can't find that MS stand alone to run again.
I have also spend a few hours reading and looking on line for a fix.

Upvote 0
L

LabZero

Sometimes it happens that a new Windows 7 installation does not update with the search bar that runs ...in loop
If you are using WSUS let It work and when the job is finished try to launch Windows Update, usually this "unlock".

Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hi Rozesky2. My hope is mainly to add a little encouragement for you & on this thread.

Something unusual happened with our Windows 8.1 today. The system's usually fast start up did not boot up fast today. In fact, it would not boot up at :eek:all, although the screen did read: "100 updates successfully downloaded...Please do not shut down your computer until completed", ..only it did not finish...:confused:
So, at this point I held the power button & forced it to power down, and the same display appeared again, except (after a long wait) this time I saw the usual start screen picture. I was able to enter the password, and logged on.:oops: Oh, oh...

Although I have not performed an install of our system, I think it's possible the Windows Update may be acting up unusually today.

Anyway, I wanted to communicate that you are not alone, and I hope everything works out well for each of us even if it's merely a coincidence. Good luck!
*crosses fingers* :p

Reactions: frogboy and LabZero
Upvote 0

vishwa

Level 1
Verified
Aug 18, 2015
I think some of your windows files get corrupted. Just run your CMD with administrator permission. than type "sfc/scannow" andwait for a while to check the system files. If its throw any integrity violations than you have to fix it.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
You can use this offline updater : WSUS Offline Update
It doesn't solve the problem but at least you can update Windows.
I ran the standalone updater and it seemed to get things started again. So now I am just selecting a few updates at a time and they are installing. Only had a 10 fail ...ran the standalone updater again and so far so good.
Thanks everyone for your help and other Ideas to try.

I have work on seniors computers and do tutoring and I have found the last several months that windows updates has many issues
it never seems to go smoothly but this time was one of the worse I could not even get it started. But persistance seems to pay off and I am getting the updates on now.

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
I think some of your windows files get corrupted. Just run your CMD with administrator permission. than type "sfc/scannow" andwait for a while to check the system files. If its throw any integrity violations than you have to fix it.
Thanks you for that suggestion...I may try it later . so far I am getting the updates to install again

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Hi Rozesky2. My hope is mainly to add a little encouragement for you & on this thread.

Something unusual happened with our Windows 8.1 today. The system's usually fast start up did not boot up fast today. In fact, it would not boot up at :eek:all, although the screen did read: "100 updates successfully downloaded...Please do not shut down your computer until completed", ..only it did not finish...:confused:
So, at this point I held the power button & forced it to power down, and the same display appeared again, except (after a long wait) this time I saw the usual start screen picture. I was able to enter the password, and logged on.:oops: Oh, oh...

Although I have not performed an install of our system, I think it's possible the Windows Update may be acting up unusually today.

Anyway, I wanted to communicate that you are not alone, and I hope everything works out well for each of us even if it's merely a coincidence. Good luck!
*crosses fingers* :p
It is always great to have the encouragement. I have found this community at MalwareTips to be very supportive and helpful. It is why I keep coming back
Thank you again everyone

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Control Panel, Under "system and Security" chose "Find an Fix problems" on the left under "control panel home" is 4 options, chose "view all" then scroll down to Windows Update, chose to run it as Admin..

If this does not work, then as suggested above, run a sfc /scannow and see if it finds and fixes any corrupt files. If it finds corrupt files and can not fix them then you can download the Checksur "System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7" from here:

Download System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [October 2014] from Official Microsoft Download Center

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Control Panel, Under "system and Security" chose "Find an Fix problems" on the left under "control panel home" is 4 options, chose "view all" then scroll down to Windows Update, chose to run it as Admin..

If this does not work, then as suggested above, run a sfc /scannow and see if it finds and fixes any corrupt files. If it finds corrupt files and can not fix them then you can download the Checksur "System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7" from here:

Download System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [October 2014] from Official Microsoft Download Center
Illumination
thanks for the suggestions I will save them....for now the updates are finally installing ... :)

Upvote 0

TooCool

Feb 17, 2016

This solution worked for me. I have tried lots of fixes and none worked except for this one, running windows update as Admin. Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Dan73401

Sep 25, 2016
I have tried several solutions to get the updates working but nothing is helping at this point.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Yes

Microsoft Windows 7 Update stuck checking for updates

This is the updates from Microsoft only
don't try getting these updates from other web sites only from Microsoft
google each update
this will take you to the Microsoft site

First restart Windows

Windows6.1-KB3102810-x64.msu

Restart Windows

Install Windows6.1-KB3135445-x64.msu

Restart Windows

Install Windows6.1-KB3138612-x64.msu

Restart Windows

Check for Updates should find all updates

This will take 5 min. to start finding updates

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.