Windows 7 Really Better than 10?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by SearchLight, Aug 13, 2017.

?

If you had a preference, would you dump Windows 10 in favor of Windows 7?

Poll closed Aug 20, 2017.
  1. Yes, because it is more stable and user friendly.

28.0%
  2. No, I like the latest OS and will stay with Windows 10

72.0%
  1. SearchLight

SearchLight Level 3

Jul 3, 2017
    New Jersey
    Windows 10
    Malwarebytes
    I have never worked or used Windows 7, had 98, XP, 8 then 8.1, and now the latest, 10.

Many friends of mine still use, and talk affectionately about W7, and feel in many ways, a better and/or stable system than W10. They suggest I try it. Others say ditch 10, and use it.

I am aware that support will be ending very soon, and I know that I can install another separate system on my PC with the option of dual booting.

What are your thoughts on Windows 7?

mehdi.n, shmu26 and Fritz like this.
  2. brod56

brod56 Level 11

Feb 13, 2017
    Studant
    Portugal
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    No! Windows 7 may be just a bit more stable (only noticeable on older machines) but it's way worse.
    For me, updgrading to Windows 10 made my PC faster and much more modern. Its regular updates only keep improving it.

Jimy Pérez, askmark, Parsh and 2 others like this.
  3. Huchim

Huchim Level 4

Oct 17, 2015
    México
    Windows 8.1
    Emsisoft
    Well yes it is better if you use a computer or a laptop from 2012. In that kind of systems is more stable that windows 10 because win7 is not such agressive on telemetry or functions as windows 10.

Again, it higly depends from your pc or laptop, I have a sony vaio laptop from 2011 with win 7 by default, I don't change it and I say this because I've tried windows 8.1 and 10 and I've found problems as high use of RAM (I suppose from fast startup) I decide to keep windows 7 (mainly because it's used by family) until I get a new and modern computer and I'll be using win10 for sure.

I'm not using win7 if I have a modern hardware with a modern graphics that can be better with directx 12 with windows 10

Parsh and Fritz like this.
  4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Level 8
    Content Creator

May 13, 2017
    Postal Worker
    Slovakia
    Windows 10
    7 is the best Windows that ever was and will be, but it not like we have a choice, it is just obsolete.
    I have moved to 10 because of the lack of hardware and software support, not to mention security updates.

GonzitoVir and Fritz like this.
  5. edon

edon Level 1

Jul 6, 2017
    kosovo
    W7 is the best !

6. Trooper

Trooper Level 6

Aug 28, 2015
    USA
    Windows 10
    ESET
    Liked W7 a lot but moved on to W10 as it is more secure and getting more secure all the time. Especially with the upcoming Fall Creators Update.

Syafiq, Transhumana and Fritz like this.
  7. Fritz

Fritz Level 11

Sep 28, 2015
    Germany
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Windows 7 was a great OS and has served your friends well, so they're reluctant to change. That's to be expected. When it comes to technology, I do recommend a less emotional approach, though. Always consider the consequences.

Windows 10 took almost everything bad about 8 and 8.1 (which I hated and skipped) off the plate and actually went back a bit towards a Win7-style. It's also lightyears ahead as far as security goes and will be supported for years to come.

The only reason I see is when you use applications that just won't run on anything other than Windows 7 and there's no replacement to be had. I also use Windows 7 Embedded PosReady 7 in commercial environments still, because Windows 10 IoT isn't quite there yet. Then again, these embedded versions have a much longer support time frame and there's nobody checking mail, browsing or downloading anything, they're being used with a single application exclusively.

TL;DR: If there's no tangible reason to use an old OS, use an actual one. Always.

8. Marko :)

Marko :) Level 10

Aug 12, 2015
    Croatia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    It's hard to choose one for me. Windows 7 is better IMO but I like Windows 10 too. The only things I don't like on Windows 10 are telemetry, bloatware (that comes with OS) and buggy updates. Other than that, it's decent OS.

frogboy and Fritz like this.
  9. shmu26

shmu26 Level 53

Jul 3, 2015
    Utopia
    Windows 10 is faster and more secure. It may not work on older systems.
    If you can handle Windows 8, then you can surely handle Windows 10.
    The people who have trouble with Windows 10 are the folks who are coming from XP or Vista or 7, and they have expectations that the user experience will be the same.

Faybert and Fritz like this.
  10. juhful

juhful Level 12

Jun 22, 2013
    North America
    Windows 7 was good in it's day but Windows 10 is a far superior OS especially in terms of security. Like others have said your decision does have to take into account the PC you are using, unless it's 5 years or older Windows 10 is the best option.

Transhumana, Faybert and Fritz like this.
  11. Faybert

Faybert Level 10
    AV Tester

Jan 8, 2017
    Brasil
    Windows 10
    G-Data
    I always use the latest, not just for security, but for new technologies that the old ones do not support. Continuing on 7 is a big mistake, both in performance and especially in security.

askmark likes this.
  12. legendcampos

legendcampos Level 5

Aug 22, 2014
    Brazil
    Windows 10
    Avast
    I like Windows 7, Microsoft made kludged in Windows 10 that crashed into my concept when creating the apps store, which everyone knows is bad, because it was destined for smartphone users so much they try to win the market, most prefer Android and IOS. Although I prefer to use the 7 to be cleaner, Win 10 is more modern, more current, DirectX 12 support ideal for the latest VGA. Then back to 7 is walking backwards because we have to follow technological developments.

13. nsm0220

nsm0220 Level 21

Sep 9, 2013
    Windows 7
    G-Data
    I pick W7 for stability and friendly UI and the backwards comparably of software and hardware.Also W7 is very hardware friendly as well,

14. darko999

darko999 Level 16

Oct 2, 2014
    I give you a point about Windows 7 being a bit more stable than Windows 10 but that's reasonable if we accept the fact that Windows 10 added new features and upgraded modules into new more secure ones. That will always cost some stability, however I find Windows 10 an upgraded version of Windows 7. No reason for me to go back to Win 7.

frogboy and askmark like this.
  15. Exterminator

Exterminator Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 23, 2012
    USA
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Windows 10 is faster and more secure than Windows 7.
    Most complaints about Windows 10 can be easily managed and tweaked.
    Been using it so long it is difficult for me to work on a 7 machine.

16. SearchLight

SearchLight Level 3

Jul 3, 2017
    New Jersey
    Windows 10
    Malwarebytes
    Thanks for all your replies. My gut told me to stay with 10 . Appreciate the advice. Old cars may be nice, and run well but once you have trouble getting the parts, it's time to move on. Same applies to OS imho.

askmark, Marko :) and Fritz like this.
  17. 212eta

212eta Level 7

May 11, 2011
    Windows Desktop
    Windows 10
    Isolation
    No, I like 10 more than 7. :cool:
    Ten has been more stable on my hardware. ;)

askmark likes this.
  18. monkeylove

monkeylove Level 2

Mar 9, 2014
    I found Win 8.1 better in terms of performance compared to Win 7, and just used Classic Shell to make it look like Win 7. I've tried Win 10 for a limited time, and it looks OK, although I'd like to avoid the privacy problems.

askmark likes this.
  19. Lockdown

Lockdown From AppGuard
    Developer

Oct 24, 2016
    AppGuard LLC Virginia, U.S.
    What OS is better is a matter of personal preference, but in terms of security Windows 10 is significantly more secure.

frogboy likes this.
  20. frogboy

frogboy Level 61
    Trusted

Jun 9, 2013
    Heavy Duty Mechanic.
    Western Australia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Windows 10 for me. Never looked back at all, faster and more secure.

darko999 and ispx like this.