Troubleshoot Windows 7 System File Checker Corrupt Files Help.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Guys,

I have been running into a problem lately when running the system file checker in Windows 7 x64. I have been noticing that Windows finds corrupt files it cannot fix. I haven't been able to figure out what is corrupting the files so quickly. I have an image I made of Windows after installing all the Windows updates, and applying any tweaks I normally do. I ran the system file checker to make sure the backup isn't the problem. The backup is perfectly fine. Therefore, it is something that is happening later that is corrupting things. I have read that there is a way to check the log to find out what files were unable to be repaired and manually repair them yourself. Does anyone know how to go about this? I have tried checking the file in the past for the files that are corrupt but I was unable to locate them. I would like to learn how to manually fix this problem when it occurs instead of using a backup image. I am using a SSD as my primary drive and I don't want to wear it out by repeatedly formatting and going back to a backup image.

Thanks,
grim

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
run another scan.It needs to be run from an Elevated Command Prompt.

Right click: "Command Prompt" in "Start Menu - Accessories".
Click: "Run as Administrator".
Click past the UAC Screen.
In the Command Prompt Type:sfc /scannow and press "Enter"

If you get a message saying it couldn't fix some files you can find out which ones. When SFC runs, it logs it's actions to the C:\WINDOWS\LOGS\CBS\CBS.LOG.

Open the Elevated command prompt again.
Type in: findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt and press "Enter". This will place a sfcdetails.txt file on your desktop with the SFC scan details from the CBS.LOG.

Open the sfcdetails.txt and look for the unfixable entries.

sometimes all that is needed is a reboot which it will {or should} say in the txt. file

Upvote 0

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Thx for the advice. The next time I get the problem I will give this a try and post back with what I find. The last time I restored a image file it only took a day for me to notice this. Hopefully it will either happen really fast this time and I can figure out whats causing it, its done and over with and won't happen anymore lol.

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Most common reasons for getting corrupt system files:

1. Security software or software conflicts.
2. Defective hardware (like bad hard drive or bad RAM)
3. Incorrect system drivers installed.

The system file checker should prompt you to insert your Windows disk and press enter to restore the system files. If not you still can use your Windows disk to repair the files manually.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-system-repair-disc

http://www.mytechguide.org/8515/use-system-repair-disc-restore-windows-7-vista/

Enjoy!!:D

Reactions: donetao
Upvote 0

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
I thing honestly it was due to Wise Care 365. I didn't install it yesterday when I reinstated the backup image and it hasn't said it yet. I have had this happen in the past a few times as well and for some reason it has never asked for the Windows disk to repair the files. Therefore, leaving me no option due to not knowing how to manually repair the files until now. I hope the cause was from the software. I don't feel like tracking down faulty hardware or drivers lol. It shouldn't be drivers though. I downloaded all the correct ones directly from AMD, Realtek, ATI, and Intel. I been doing it that way since I purchased the PC. Hopefully I can scratch that off the list of culprits.

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
grimreaper1014 said:
I thing honestly it was due to Wise Care 365. I didn't install it yesterday when I reinstated the backup image and it hasn't said it yet. I have had this happen in the past a few times as well and for some reason it has never asked for the Windows disk to repair the files. Therefore, leaving me no option due to not knowing how to manually repair the files until now. I hope the cause was from the software. I don't feel like tracking down faulty hardware or drivers lol. It shouldn't be drivers though. I downloaded all the correct ones directly from AMD, Realtek, ATI, and Intel. I been doing it that way since I purchased the PC. Hopefully I can scratch that off the list of culprits.

Of coarse making any changes to your system with tweaking/maintenance/registry cleaners can corrupt your system. I generally don't recommend using anything but CCleaner. System is always more stable at default configuration.

Thanks.:D

Reactions: donetao
Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! You have received great advise from forum members. I would like to add to these.
Check your Reliability Monitor and see if you can get any clues there that might help you.
Type Reliability Monitor in your search Orb.
IMHO Wise Care 365. is a snake oil program that you don't need, Ditch it!

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
When people are not aware or sure of what is going on they jump to conclusion,which in turn causes a recipe for disaster.
Well lets see if my explanation work,now because of microsoft never fix anything completely policy,windows 7 system file checker can become corrupted from the get go or as in from the time you install your very first windows updates,now to help fix the culprit that is microsoft most of the time,you'll have to download windows System Update Readiness Tool & run it as early as possible which in turn cleans up microsoft mess,or check this link which will help you to clean up microsoft mess.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com...dows-update-checksur-log?forum=w7itprogeneral. & this link to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2700601.& this link also
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee619779(WS.10).aspx
So as you search the links that i have provided you'll get to see that registry cleaners & tune up software are sometimes blame wrongfully.

Title egg at big rock dance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
To make matters worst microsoft has released some updates that are crippling some people systems etc:(win 7 32 bit 64 bit & windows 8 32 bit or 64 bit)

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Terry ! Very good information, but IMHO Registry cleaners and snake oil tune up programs are not needed to maintain windows and will never be welcomed on my computer. Yes it's true what your saying about windows updates, but that does not justify the problems caused by snake oil programs that claim to cure all your problems and make your PC run like brand new. No amount of preaching will convince me to use these snake oil programs. I have tried them. I've been there and done that. No more snake oil programs on this PC:D:D:D

Upvote 0

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Hi Terry ! Very good information, but IMHO Registry cleaners and snake oil tune up programs are not needed to maintain windows and will never be welcomed on my computer. Yes it's true what your saying about windows updates, but that does not justify the problems caused by snake oil programs that claim to cure all your problems and make your PC run like brand new. No amount of preaching will convince me to use these snake oil programs. I have tried them. I've been there and done that. No more snake oil programs on this PC:D:D:D

No don't get me wrong,i know some registry cleaners can be a hazard but sometimes these said programs get blame wrongfully,do you understand how someone will feel to install windows fresh twice or more to find out files are corrupted from the get go,then with some help you get to find out it is microsoft that's hijacking you all this time.:eek:o_O:confused::oops::mad:

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Terry! This is a great forum and allows us to carry on these great conversations. I have never heard of anyone installing windows back to factory and with some help finding out windows was hijacking you all the time.
Anything is possible in the computer world. I just don't know how the files were corrupted from the get go if you had a legit copy of windows.
I have seen a lot of weird things happen, so I'm not going to say this can't happen.
Thank you for your reply. You still haven't convinced me to down load these snake oil programs when all the tools you need are provided by windows to maintain your PC. I have been there with those programs. You don't need them!!!!! I've been there and done that!
chkdsk
sfc /scannow
defrag
clean disk
memory check
There are more but those come to my mind at the moment. Who needs those snake oil programs that do more harm than good.
Not me my friend!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry Ganzi
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.