Advice Request Windows 7 users won't let go of the aging OS

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Despite Windows 7’s extended support phase coming to an end in eight months’ time, it appears users aren’t in a hurry to upgrade from the aging OS.

Analytics company NetMarketShare’s latest figures show that while Windows 10’s market share continues to climb, it is doing so at a slower pace. It went from 43.62 percent in March to 44.10 percent in April. And while Windows 7 declined, it did so by just 0.09 percent—from 36.52 percent to 36.43 percent.

It was only in December that Windows 10 finally surpassed Windows 7 to become the most popular version of the operating system. Surprisingly, the older OS experienced slight growth in February, but has been falling since then, though not as quickly as Microsoft wants.

Windows 7 will no longer receive extended security updates on January 14, 2020. After this point, the only users to receive them will be business and education customers willing to pay the high prices.

In an attempt to get more people to migrate to Windows 10, Microsoft started sending out courtesy reminders last month. These contain a link to pages that offer advice on how to prepare for Windows 7's last days and encourage people to upgrade to Windows 10 or buy a new PC.

Businesses have long been responsible for keeping Windows 7’s market share so high, and it appears the hassle and cost of upgrading entire networks of computers is causing many companies to stick with the OS—though the per-device price to receive ESUs after January might make switching a better option financially. There are doubtlessly plenty of individual Windows 7 users, too, many of whom still don’t trust Windows 10.

Source

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Windows 7 was a particularly sweet spot in Microsoft OS releases.

Once you use Windows 10 for a while and go back to Windows 7 though...

.... it's like going back to a place you used to live. It's not quite as nice as you remembered it... it's smaller and more confined than you remember...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I wonder how much of this is from third world countries or from those with poor socioeconomic status.
People from third world countries use pirated software. A pirate can get win10 just as easily as win7.
The average guy will just keep using the OS and software his computer came with as long as he can. When his computer dies, he gets a new computer, which comes with Win10.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Honestly, if support wasn't near end and feature/bug fix updates were still rolling out, I'd use Windows 7. It was the best OS I ever used, never had any huge problems and everything worked great.
People from third world countries use pirated software. A pirate can get Windows 10 just as easily as Windows 7.
They don't need to pirate because Windows 10 can be used without license; there are only minor limitations which are not important at all.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Honestly, if support wasn't near end and feature/bug fix updates were still rolling out, I'd use Windows 7. It was the best OS I ever used, never had any huge problems and everything worked great.

They don't need to pirate because Windows 10 can be used without license; there are only minor limitations which are not important at all.
Without a license, you can't do the one thing that everyone knows and loves: setting your own desktop wallpaper. LOL.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

That's interesting.. I was not aware it is that easy. I wonder why Microsoft allows that? My guess is that it would cost more to police and work out all the license problems --- as opposed to having loose licensing.

MBAM recently decided to stop letting everybody have 'free software'.... with the same licenses being sold on eBay over and over...

Now you see regular posts in their forums like this:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Once you use Windows 10 for a while and go back to Windows 7 though...

.... it's like going back to a place you used to live. It's not quite as nice as you remembered it... it's smaller and more confined than you remember...

This was exactly my experience. After trashing my laptop a couple months ago I got a used one that had W7. I used it for a week or so and it felt really ancient. Did the upgrade to W10 waaay sooner than I thought I would. I kept the Dell version wallpaper though because it's retro cool!

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
That's interesting.. I was not aware it is that easy. I wonder why Microsoft allows that? My guess is that it would cost more to police and work out all the license problems --- as opposed to having loose licensing.
Seeing how easy and popular some of the questionable activation methods are, and how long they've been there in web, it seems like Microsoft cares very less about what home users do.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
W7 still works. At the level of the company, it is necessary to make an expenditure not only of equipment, but also to call a technician and configure everything, and it is an expense that not all companies are willing to carry out.

At the user level, unless you buy a new computer, continue with W7, the total is the same as when you visit the web to YouTube and blah, blah, blah.

It only works for those of us who like security, it has interesting things.
But it is a trade for you to spend $$$.:p:p

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Without a license, you can't do the one thing that everyone knows and loves: setting your own desktop wallpaper. LOL.
Actually, you can. Just download the wallpaper, right click on it and select Set as desktop background. There are a lot of apps that can personalize PC even with Windows deactivated.

dual-monitor-wallpaper-copy-4.png

MBAM recently decided to stop letting everybody have 'free software'.... with the same licenses being sold on eBay over and over...

Now you see regular posts in their forums like this:

View attachment 213251
You may noticed that Windows 10 comes with preinstalled apps from 3rd party (like Candy Crush, Disney Magic Kingdom etc.). Microsoft for sure earns money that way (when you buy in-app purchases Microsoft also gets a cut). There are ads inside the OS too (you can disable them, but they are enabled by default). And they still sell Windows for 200€. Business users need to have only legal and fully activated software on their PCs otherwise they risk fines.
Microsoft never said anything about using deactivated versions of Windows, as far as I know. If they don't want users to use Windows deactivated, they could easily add annoying popups like that was the case with Windows 7 and other versions. Maybe they don't care, or care only for business users (because they need to have legal and fully activated software only).

L

Local Host

Run slmgr dlv on a Windows 10 without License and enjoy seeing the expiration date that will turn the system into a brink.

You can however constantly rearm Windows 10, but quite honestly, anyone who wants a free Windows 10 license should just join the Insider Program.

In fact rearm is constantly abused by common Activators (both in Windows and Office).

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Run slmgr dlv on a Windows 10 without License and enjoy seeing the expiration date that will turn the system into a brink.
Why would anyone want to use these commands if deactivated Windows is working fine for them?
You can however constantly rearm Windows 10, but quite honestly, anyone who wants a free Windows 10 license should just join the Insider Program.
I don't see the point in doing it every 30 days; it'll become quite annoying after few times. About the Insider program, I wouldn't do that - sacrificing data for the free license... :rolleyes:

Reactions: roger_m

pisondi

Level 1
Feb 4, 2018
I am on Windows 7 Ultimate. I have an old latop which runs perfect Windows 7 on it. I am 100% sure we`ll get updates even after 2020. A workaround for this will appear in the same manner it did for XP. Although i have a genuine license for Windows 10 PRO I don`t have for the moment the necessary hardware to upgrade.

L

Local Host

Why would anyone want to use these commands if deactivated Windows is working fine for them?

I don't see the point in doing it every 30 days; it'll become quite annoying after few times. About the Insider program, I wouldn't do that - sacrificing data for the free license... :rolleyes:
I can't see what the problem is to check the license information, which is a concern for people using Windows 10 without license. You clearly missed the point and don't seem to have tested Windows 10 thoroughly without license.

Plus you'll be doing the rearms if you wanna keep using Windows 10 without license, and I never mentioned 30 days cause as I said before Microsoft/Windows no longer support evaluation copies (besides the Enterprise version).

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Although i have a genuine license for Windows 10 PRO I don`t have for the moment the necessary hardware to upgrade.
Windows 10 will work fine on most computers that are running Windows 7. It's usually only computers with fairy slow processors and integrated graphics, that it runs slowly on. The new build 1903, works faster than previous builds, so it is worth trying if you have tried Windows 10 before and it ran slowly. On one of my laptops, with previous builds of Windows 10, there was a delay of a second or so between pressing the Windows key and Start Menu opening. With build 1903, the Start Menu opens quickly.

It's worth pointing out, that you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free, from Windows 7 (or 8/8.1).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.