windows 8.1 infected by Chesire police ransome virus .

Linn

Thread author
Oct 26, 2014
I cant really think of any addittional comment after filling in the boxes above .
Other than I miss my computer ! .
Linn

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

They call me TwinHeadedEagle around here, and I'll be working with you.

Before we start please read and note the following:
  • At the top of your post, please click on the "Watch thread" button and make sure to check Watch this thread...and receive email notifications. This will send an email to you as soon as I reply to your topic, allowing me to solve your problem faster.
  • Please do not install any new software during the cleaning process other than the tools I provide for you. This can hinder the cleaning process. Please do not perform System Restore or any other restore.
  • Instructions I give to you are very simple and made for complete beginner to follow. That's why you need to read through my instructions carefully and completely before executing them.
  • Please do not run any tools other than the ones I ask you to, when I ask you to. Some of these tools can be very dangerous if used improperly. Also, if you use a tool that I have not requested you use, it can cause false positives, thereby delaying the complete cleaning of your machine.
  • All tools we use here are completely clean and do not contain any malware. If your antivirus detects them as malicious, please disable your antivirus and then continue.
  • If during the process you run across anything that is not in my instructions, please stop and ask. If any tool is running too much time (few hours), please stop and inform me.
  • I visit forum several times at day, making sure to respond to everyone's topic as fast as possible. But bear in mind that I have private life like everyone and I cannot be here 24/7. So please be patient with me. Also, some infections require less, and some more time to be removed completely, so bear this in mind and be patient.
  • Please stay with me until the end of all steps and procedures and I declare your system clean. Just because there is a lack of symptoms does not indicate a clean machine. If you solved your problem yourself, set aside two minutes to let me know.
  • Please attach all report using
    fjqb1h.png
    button below. Doing this, you make it easier for me to analyze and fix your problem.

• Do not ask for help for your business PC. Companies are making revenue via computers, so it is good thing to pay someone to repair it.
  • If I don't hear from you within 3 days from this initial or any subsequent post, then this thread will be closed.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.
  • Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.
  • Restart your computer and tap F8 to bring up the Advanced Menu, then click Repair your computer
  • Follow the prompt to enter keyboard input method, and then the prompt to enter a password. If the machine does not have a password, simply click Enter.
  • In the Choose Recovery Tool menu select Command Prompt.
  • You will see a big black window with a blinking cursor (command prompt).

notepad.png
    Access the notepad and identify your USB drive

In the Command Prompt please type in:
    Code:
    notepad
    and press Enter.
  • When the notepad opens, go to File menu.
  • Select Open.
  • Go to Computer and search there for your USB drive letter.
  • Note down the letter and close the notepad.

FRST.gif
    Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Once back in the command prompt window, please do the following:
  • Type in e:\frst64.exe and press Enter.
    You need to replace e with the letter of your USB drive taken from notepad!
  • FRST will start to run. Give him a minute or so to load itself.
  • Click Yes to Disclaimer.
  • In the main console, please click Scan and wait.
  • When finished it will produce a logfile named FRST.txt in the root of your pendrive and display it. Close that logfile.

Transfer it to your clean machine and include it in your next reply.

Linn

Thread author
Oct 26, 2014
Hello,

• At the top of your post, please click on the "Watch thread" button and make sure to check Watch this thread...and receive email notifications. This will send an email to you as soon as I reply to your topic, allowing me to solve your problem faster.
  • Please do not install any new software during the cleaning process other than the tools I provide for you. This can hinder the cleaning process. Please do not perform System Restore or any other restore.
  • Instructions I give to you are very simple and made for complete beginner to follow. That's why you need to read through my instructions carefully and completely before executing them.
  • Please do not run any tools other than the ones I ask you to, when I ask you to. Some of these tools can be very dangerous if used improperly. Also, if you use a tool that I have not requested you use, it can cause false positives, thereby delaying the complete cleaning of your machine.
  • All tools we use here are completely clean and do not contain any malware. If your antivirus detects them as malicious, please disable your antivirus and then continue.
  • If during the process you run across anything that is not in my instructions, please stop and ask. If any tool is running too much time (few hours), please stop and inform me.
  • I visit forum several times at day, making sure to respond to everyone's topic as fast as possible. But bear in mind that I have private life like everyone and I cannot be here 24/7. So please be patient with me. Also, some infections require less, and some more time to be removed completely, so bear this in mind and be patient.
  • Please stay with me until the end of all steps and procedures and I declare your system clean. Just because there is a lack of symptoms does not indicate a clean machine. If you solved your problem yourself, set aside two minutes to let me know.
    fjqb1h.png
    button below. Doing this, you make it easier for me to analyze and fix your problem.

• Do not ask for help for your business PC. Companies are making revenue via computers, so it is good thing to pay someone to repair it.
  • If I don't hear from you within 3 days from this initial or any subsequent post, then this thread will be closed.

• Restart your computer and tap F8 to bring up the Advanced Menu, then click Repair your computer
  • Follow the prompt to enter keyboard input method, and then the prompt to enter a password. If the machine does not have a password, simply click Enter.

notepad.png

Code:
    notepad
    and press Enter.
  • Select Open.

FRST.gif

• When finished it will produce a logfile named FRST.txt in the root of your pendrive and display it. Close that logfile.

Hi Twin
Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply .
The time now is9. 30 pm I have only just picked this up .
I intend to read through your reply twoor three times more tonight and do it all tomorrow , if thats O K .
To be honest I am bushed and need a clear head to do this .
I thank you for such a prompt and detailed responce .

Linn

Linn

Thread author
Oct 26, 2014
Hello,

fjqb1h.png

notepad.png

Code:
    notepad
    and press Enter.
  • Select Open.

FRST.gif

Hello Twin

The situation so far is .
I loaded the F R S T inti the flash stick , inserted it into the infected P C and turned it on .
While I pressed the F8 key .
Screen displayed a blue background with the H P logo , this was followed by a black screen , again followed by another black screen with white wording , headed Prossor type on the top and at the bottom it said press ESC button to apply start menu .
This showed only for a second then the whole process started again .
After trying for five mins I turned off the infected windows 8.1 PC and read through your instructions and repeated the process .
Again a repeat of the above .

Once again thank you for all of your help so far .

Linn

Last edited:

Linn

Thread author
Oct 26, 2014
Hell Twin
The situation so far .
I loaded the flash stick with FRST .
Turned on infected Windows 8.1 PC and pressing the F8 key .
Screen displayed a blue background with the H P logo .
This was followed by a black screen , again followed by another black screen , containing white wording .
On the top it said Processor type on the bottom it said press the ESC key toapply start menue.
This screen showed only for a second then the whole process repeated .
After trying for five mins or so I turned off the infected windows 8.1 P C and read through your instructions again and repeated them .
Once again a repeat of the above .

Once more thank you for all your help so far .

Linn

Linn

Thread author
Oct 26, 2014
Sorry about this Twin . I have just realised the Frst has loaded onto this clean P C but not onto the memory stick .I have never used memory sticks before .The sticks I have are brand new , I tested the other stick and it worked , it loaded the Hitman one .
I have to go out now , Any information regarding memory sticks is much apreciated . I will keep looking to see what I am doing wrong this end .
This laptop is pissing me off .

Thank you once more .

Linn

Linn

Thread author
Oct 26, 2014
Now I cant work the thread ,
Not sure if the above went out .
I have just realised the memory stick isnt loading the removal tool .
Anm going out will persevere later on , ( Keep trying ) that is .

Thank you

Linn

Linn

Thread author
Oct 26, 2014
Hi Twin
I have just realised that the memory stick wasnt loading on 64 bits , I have just loaded it on 32 bits and it loaded .
However when I tried it in the infected P C tapping F8 it was a repeat of the earlier failures .

What is the reason for F8 ?

Linn

Linn

Thread author
Oct 26, 2014
Hi
I have tried this three more times with esactley the same results as earlier on ,

Linn

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Let's try this:

Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing
  • Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Wait for the CD to detect your hardware and load the operating system
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Insert the USB with FRST
  • Locate the flash drive with FRST and double click
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Linn

Thread author
Oct 26, 2014
Hello Twin

Thank you . The other computer I have a Tosiba Satellite L35OD-131 doesent burn C Ds . So I will have to sort something out in the morning .
Thank you again .

Linn

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.