App Review Windows 8 Dev with Comodo Firewall 5.8 RC

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Note: Tested in VirtualBox, though it is not recommended for some reason, so results are not 100% accurate for Comodo software.

Windows 8 Dev Preview 32-bit
Windows Defender: Enabled and Updated
Windows SmartScreen: Enabled
Internet Explorer 10 with SmartScreen Filter: Disabled

Run time: 8 minutes, 25 seconds @ 640x480

Thanks for taking your time to watch the video.

3rd November 2011

Sorry - video is no longer available. I was cleaning up my SkyDrive and I accidentally deleted the video.

Edit: Found a copy on my hard drive, uploaded to YouTube.com/MalwareTips

Screenshots from 29th September 2011

These are some of the features I found interesting in Windows 8 Dev. and Comodo Firewall 5.8 RC.

1. I disabled the SmartScreen Filter in IE10

iTHIr.png

2. Even though disabled, known virus' are deleted in IE10

fiYu9.png

3. Even though Defense+ Alert recommended to Block, I was able to Allow

nMz2u.png

4. Failure to remove, I didn't check up on this, but Windows Defender could have removed this before Comodo could touch the file (?)

YP8Az.png

5. Could this be Windows SmartScreen blocking the malicious file to run, and has been resolved by Windows Defender (?)

62Rkw.png

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Seems interesting that cloud scanner and defense + both pop up however cloud scanner couldn't removed the threat.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Defender in Windows 8 is essentially Microsoft Security Essentials, so it is a vast improvement.

D

Deleted member 178

Defense+ always gives you the choice to alow or block the file detected as malicious.

Hungry Man said:
I am surprised it worked at all. Sandboxie did not. Doesn't CIS use kernel-hooks?

i think it use some.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
Defense+ always gives you the choice to alow or block the file detected as malicious.

So if it is a known malicious file, why does D+ display "You MUST block this request". I clicked Allow, because it was an available option (and not because I didn't read the pop-up).

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of the cloud scanner in Comodo Firewall?

D

Deleted member 178

it is an advice, so if you know that the flagged file is safe for you, of course you should have the choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.