Windows 8 merely a codename, but no hints on the name

Status
Not open for further replies.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
it seems that Microsoft still hasn't fully decided to just "go with something" with their Windows client naming convention, after speculation was all but confirmed earlier this year when Microsoft Windows Chief Steven Sinofsky noted that Windows 8 was nothing but a codename.

Over the years we've seen version numbers, year dates and grand names like Millennium, XP (short for experience) and Vista used to promote the Windows client, before settling on Windows 7 the last time around. It is however a safe bet that the Server version of Windows 8 will simply be called Windows Server 2012, as that naming convention has been in place since Windows Server 2003 (before that it was Windows 2000 Server).

read more

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
I don't think they will drop the Windows name, not this time anyway. There are whispers around the interwebz that the version after Windows 8 will be something close to a 1.0 state (they are giving Longhorn another go) it would make more sense to rename the os then.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Changing the name? it doesn't make any sense........ If you call it through all the development stage Windows 8 (which will take 2 years ) and then after the launch you call it "Window X-treme" or something like that , you can bet that all the users will be confused.

K__M

Jun 14, 2011
If they want a new name... i think they should try starting a whole new operating system, while keeping windows in front of the main OS. :p

So they can have 2 different types of OS's instead of like jack said "Window/s X-treme"

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For me I think, Windows 8 is just a fine codename since all users are very familiar on that name.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Jack said:
Changing the name? it doesn't make any sense........ If you call it through all the development stage Windows 8 (which will take 2 years ) and then after the launch you call it "Window X-treme" or something like that , you can bet that all the users will be confused.

for about 50% of all windows release were good and as OS should be like (Windows 3000 (correct me if the name is wrong), 95 or 98(cant remember),XP and Seven). The rest ended like Vista... and we all know how Vista ended up...

Changing the name might give microsoft a better rep (not because they need but anyways) and new start of new OS era

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.