Advice Request Windows 8 : Protecting user files with File History

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do you think you will use File History in Windows 8?

• Yes

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Backing up your critical files is something we all know we should do. Even with everything in SkyDrive, it is still something we need to do. With Windows 8, we took a new look at the way backup can work and set out to solve the perennial problem of not just restoring all your files but restoring a previous version of a critical file you have been editing through the course of a day. To achieve this, we're introducing a new feature in Windows 8, File History.

What is File History?

File History is a backup application that continuously protects your personal files stored in Libraries, Desktop, Favorites, and Contacts folders. It periodically (by default every hour) scans the file system for changes and copies changed files to another location. Every time any of your personal files has changed, its copy will be stored on a dedicated, external storage device selected by you. Over time, File History builds a complete history of changes made to any personal file.

It’s a feature introduced in Windows 8 that offers a new way to protect files for consumers. It supersedes the existing Windows Backup and Restore features of Windows 7.

What is unique about this approach compared to a more traditional backup and restore? ...

Continue reading for the full article

Added Poll for your thoughts.

D

Deleted member 178

it will be the first service i will disable, 10mb WS saved ! :D

P

Plexx

One thing that is interesting but yet won't really suite my needs is this:

It may require more steps than a file or image restore but has some clear benefits:

You do not restore any “no more desired” software or settings that were on your system <-- by the time I have created a backup image, it already has the software and settings I wish to have.
You do not restore sources of some problems that you might have (or create new problems if you restore to different hardware)
You do not restore settings that may cause your system to perform badly or fail <-- depending on the image software I suppose. Had issues with EaseUS Todo but not with Paragon

All in all, I think I will not use such feature, but indeed a good approach for the normal consumer

P

Plexx

Earth wants what umbra was smoking :p

He probably didn't noticed that it was disabled by default :)

I still suspect is that dodgy beer he has in the fridge:p

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Sounds like a good idea, but won't if you change or copy latge number of files it will increase where you are storing it? That is what I got out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.