Advice Request windows 8 update failure

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nox361

Thread author
Verified
Oct 16, 2013
I hate posting a question without a thorough search, but I am on a tight schedule! two new windows 8 pc's in the family and I can't get either of them to connect to the Windows Update server to get new updates. Both of them see multiple updates are available but neither will actually grab them, choosing instead to just sit and spin their wheels! :) "0% of XXX downloaded"

Thoughts?
Thanks!
Chris

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Have you tried to restart the PC, then try for updates? Also do you receive any Error codes, what are they?

What security software do you have installed? Sometimes third-party products can prevent Windows from updating successfully.

D

Deleted member 178

sometimes it download stuff but it is not shown on the download bar some % (for me, it was at 86%), just a bug.

to check if something is downloaded , use a network monitor (like networx) to see the traffic ingoing.

Reactions: illumination

Nox361

Thread author
Verified
Oct 16, 2013
Have you tried to restart the PC, then try for updates? Also do you receive any Error codes, what are they?

What security software do you have installed? Sometimes third-party products can prevent Windows from updating successfully.

I have tried restarting, same result. No error codes (at least during the 10 or 15 minuets I let them run)
Security consists of Comodo Internet Suite and Malwarebytes. Shouldn't be a problem there.

Once I was out driving and thinking though, i realized that I was probably not the only person trying to update a new PC over the last day or two! :) servers may have simply been on overload. I will get another chance on Saturday and will update you guys then.

Thanks!
Chris

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Might try disabling security programs while trying to download and install the Updates.I have had similar issue on an update or two in the past and that seemed to do the trick.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I have tried restarting, same result. No error codes (at least during the 10 or 15 minuets I let them run)
Security consists of Comodo Internet Suite and Malwarebytes. Shouldn't be a problem there.

Once I was out driving and thinking though, i realized that I was probably not the only person trying to update a new PC over the last day or two! :) servers may have simply been on overload. I will get another chance on Saturday and will update you guys then.

Thanks!
Chris

I recently had difficulty re-downloading Windows 8.1 after refreshing our Acer lap top. For the entire day (on the 24th) it would not finish the upgrade.:( Like you, I realized "There must be more than a few people trying to do the exact same thing!".;) Mid morning, Christmas day, the upgrade finally went through as I hope it will for you on Saturday.:cool: By the way, Once you've secured Windows 8, Do Not use "Zemana AntiLogger" along with :eek:"BitDefender Free". Trust me on this.:rolleyes:
..or you can read this: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=342139

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you,:) the list's very straightforward as are your helpful suggestions which greatly help to educate!:D

Freddyand5

Verified
Sep 18, 2013
Turn off the Security programs before updating !! Perhaps, running two security programs at a time can also be the reasons behind getting into this sort of situation where none would allow you to update system.

Nox361

Thread author
Verified
Oct 16, 2013
Woops! I forgot (sidetracked) that I had this thread open and unresolved! It appears that it was simply server overload as both machines had received their updates automatically by the time I got back to them (couple of days).

Thanks to all for their input, and have a great day!
Chris

Reactions: Exterminator
I

illumination

sometimes it download stuff but it is not shown on the download bar some % (for me, it was at 86%), just a bug.

to check if something is downloaded , use a network monitor (like networx) to see the traffic ingoing.

Seen this a few times myself. At least they are getting better about placing the updates in proper order so they do not fail..

kaljukass

Level 2
May 17, 2012
If you have any problems with the latest updates, then you have problems in your Windows - it is damaged. You can install the most recent updates to all systems without any problems.
I am 100% convinced of this, I've tried out all by yourself.
NB I see already in yours current writings the reasons, why you can't get things updated normally. Take a bit time and reinstall whole windows and do not add non-Windows programs, what you don't need and which certainly does not work there. For example your Bitdefender, Zemanta etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.