Online_Sword

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Yesterday I installed SEP 12.1.6 on the virtual machine (OS in virtual machine: win7 32bit). After the first-time updating and rebooting the virtual machine, I find that an alert is generated in the "Windows Action Center".
7Tvkgb4.png

Please see the screenshot above. Maybe you could not understand these characters:p, but I guess many of you are familiar with this window. It reports that WD and SEP is turned off. However, SEP is actually on. I am sure about that, since I have verified the status of the real-time monitor of SEP by decompressing some malware packs. And the log also shows that SONAR is working (uploading files) in the background. To sum up, SEP is working properly, but Windows alerts that SEP is turned off.

This problem appears each time when I boot/reboot the virtual machine and open the main window of SEP by double clicking its icon. I mean, if I just boot/reboot the virtual machine and forget the existence of SEP, everything is fine. But if I double click the icon of SEP to open its main window, alert will be immediately generated in windows action center.

How could I solve this problem?

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Yesterday I installed SEP 12.1.6 on the virtual machine (OS in virtual machine: win7 32bit). After the first-time updating and rebooting the virtual machine, I find that an alert is generated in the "Windows Action Center".
7Tvkgb4.png

Please see the screenshot above. Maybe you could not understand these characters:p, but I guess many of you are familiar with this window. It reports that WD and SEP is turned off. However, SEP is actually on. I am sure about that, since I have verified the status of the real-time monitor of SEP by decompressing some malware packs. And the log also shows that SONAR is working (uploading files) in the background. To sum up, SEP is working properly, but Windows alerts that SEP is turned off.

This problem appears each time when I boot/reboot the virtual machine and open the main window of SEP by double clicking its icon. I mean, if I just boot/reboot the virtual machine and forget the existence of SEP, everything is fine. But if I double click the icon of SEP to open its main window, alert will be immediately generated in windows action center.

How could I solve this problem?

SEP has not been designed with VM in mind, upon system start it tries to start the self protection and all the routines.
Within the VM this might cause troubles as you noticed.
Does SEP being reported properly on your LIVE system?

Online_Sword

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
SEP has not been designed with VM in mind, upon system start it tries to start the self protection and all the routines.
Within the VM this might cause troubles as you noticed.
Does SEP being reported properly on your LIVE system?

Sorry but I have not tested SEP in the live system...
Thank you for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.