Windows Could Drop Below the 90 Percent Mark Despite Windows 10’s Growth

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Windows 10 adoption is on the rise, according to new statistics provided by third-party analyst firms across the world, but this isn’t stopping Windows as a whole from actually losing ground in the fight against rival desktop platforms.

Net Applications indicates that, in January 2016, Windows dropped to 90.61 percent, which is very odd, given the fact that Windows 10 also improved by 2 percent during the same month.

On the other hand, Mac OS X increased its share from 7.02 percent in December to 7.68 percent last month while Linux adoption was on the rise too from 1.66 percent to 1.71 percent, respectively.

A possible drop below the 90 percent threshold for Windows would represent a negative record, given that Microsoft’s operating system has remained above this mark since the days of Windows 95. And with Windows 10 alive and kicking, and so many people moving to it, such a decline would be even more unexpected.

The transition to smartphones and tablets
The lowest share of Windows in the last 12 month was reached in October 2015, according to Net Applications, when Microsoft’s operating system was powering 90.42 percent of the desktop computers, down from 90.54 percent the month before.

But what’s worrying, though, is that, before the Windows 10 launch, Windows was performing very strong, and in March 2015, for instance, the OS was powering 91.22 percent of desktops. And yet, it wouldn’t be accurate to say that Windows 10 contributed to the decline of Windows, as the platform reached another personal best in November, when it achieved a share of 91.39 percent.

Note, however, that these figures only concern desktop computers, so Windows’ decline is not necessarily a dramatic moment, given the fact that Microsoft is also bringing Windows 10 on other devices, including smartphones and tablets.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Windows 10 adoption is on the rise, according to new statistics provided by third-party analyst firms across the world, but this isn’t stopping Windows as a whole from actually losing ground in the fight against rival desktop platforms.

Net Applications indicates that, in January 2016, Windows dropped to 90.61 percent, which is very odd, given the fact that Windows 10 also improved by 2 percent during the same month.

On the other hand, Mac OS X increased its share from 7.02 percent in December to 7.68 percent last month while Linux adoption was on the rise too from 1.66 percent to 1.71 percent, respectively.

A possible drop below the 90 percent threshold for Windows would represent a negative record, given that Microsoft’s operating system has remained above this mark since the days of Windows 95. And with Windows 10 alive and kicking, and so many people moving to it, such a decline would be even more unexpected.
Statistics can always be puzzling, as they are utterly objective and one may not always extract a solid conclusion regarding the general consensus on operating system preference.

However, I believe that the user-base of every operating system might benefit from such situations in the long run: If Microsoft isn't running a monopoly with Windows anymore, while at the same time other operating systems gain ground, then all operating system developers will be "forced", in a sense, to further enhance their products.
Competition brings progress!

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Even if we take the statistics to represent an accurate picture concerning the drop in Microsoft dominated market, 90% is still a huge number to contend with if you are a business rival.Overall, whichever version you use, windows remains the favorite of the masses, it's just that how Microsoft will proceed with their individual OSes(I think it's clear where they are focusing right now).

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Summarize what I think.

-Windows is awesome
-Linux is awesome
-Mac is awesome

Huge number of reasons why I personally say this, not enough space to explain it. Not many reasons at all why I dislike them. There are always problems. Coding is not a perfect craft. Give it time and they will be ironed out. Let us take a look at this picture that explain it very well:

HTisMpC.jpg

I'm using Manjaro Linux as my main. Still have Windows here. Always will. I need it, I love it, I've known this big guy since I was 8 years old. Using Linux simply to get familiar with it (plus I love it just like Windows). My Windows knowledge is great, my Linux knowledge... not so much. In the future, I will get my hands on Mac. On a final note: I don't believe this thread should turn into a "Windows sucks" type deal. Let us be logical about it. It's all about personal preference when it comes down to it.

DrySun

Level 1
Verified
Jul 8, 2014
I switched to Linux last summer because I didn't want to purchase windows, and I got to a point in my life that using a hacked version scared me. I can happily say that switching to Linux is easy depending on the distribution you use (Ubuntu, Mint) and which applications you need. I can see how you would need a Windows install if you wanted to use programs such as Photoshop or Microsoft Office because your work requires it!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think its not an alarming issue, as we all know the trend goes only up and down. Of course the transition of smartphones and tablets is occurred because of portability, + considering the customization of the mobile OS implement.

On the other hand, Windows will remain to be dominant on desktop even there's a decline rate because all of us need to accomplish our task in immediate, and efficient; besides on widely supported programs.

Windows 10 remains bind on the issues brought on privacy as result on stagnant progress.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.