Windows Defender 10 and third party AV

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LabZero

Thread author
Windows Defender in Windows 10 can never be turned off from the program interface; Disabling real-time protection software will remain temporarily disabled and wakes up alone after 10 minutes of inactivity or after a reboot.

To disable it permanently you need to use a third party tool, or modify the registry.

My question is: using FSecure IS or other antivirus, you must disable Defender, or you can use them both simultaneously?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
My question is: using FSecure IS or other antivirus, you must disable Defender, or you can use them both simultaneously?

Windows 8 and Windows 10 have built-in mechanism where it automatically shuts down Defender when it detects that AV is installed. That's also why you can't turn it on. Windows will not let you.

So when another an anti-malware program such as F-Secure IS is installed to Windows 10, it will trigger Windwos Defender to shut itself down/be disabled when F-Secure IS registers itself to Windows.

From How To Geek:
Windows 10 will automatically disable Windows Defender if you install another anti-malware program. It won’t continue performing real-time scans, so it won’t interfere with your other antivirus. Try to open the Windows Defender settings pane with another antivirus installed and you’ll find every option grayed out. Click the “Use Windows Defender” link and you’ll be informed Windows Defender has been disabled. Windows Defender will pop-up and say “This app has been turned off and isn’t monitoring your computer.”

If you uninstall the other antivirus, Windows Defender will kick into gear once again and take over, providing antivirus protection.
ximg_5585f8dc1505d.png.pagespeed.ic.u0zVn7o4RV.webp

http://www.howtogeek.com/220232/how-to-use-the-built-in-windows-defender-antivirus-on-windows-10/

Interesting read:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2059...-on-windows-defender-for-unprotected-pcs.html

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The fact when a third party AV recognize by Microsoft from their approval then its API that contains algorithm should turn off any possible of conflict.

Not recognizing issue, may happen when a third party program does not have the registration ability to turn on from Action Center.

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
You can disable WD via registry if you are so concerned:
Via registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender
Look at: DisableAntiSpyware DWORD
0 = On
1 = Off

By the way, not all AVs automatically disable WD in Windows 10, most likely because none are fully 100% compatible with the OS itself.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Don't worry when you'll installed any recognised windows anti virus software defender will ne disabled itself.
Not really. WSA never disabled WD for starters.

Avira was supposed to do the same when Windows 7 came out. Only started doing it officially few months after (despite claiming it would disable).

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Not really. WSA never disabled WD for starters.

Avira was supposed to do the same when Windows 7 came out. Only started doing it officially few months after (despite claiming it would disable).
WSA? that might not be recognized one.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
WSA is certified and recognized since windows 8.

They did however notify users in forums that it wouldnt disable WD. Been a WSA user for as long as I can remember :)

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Read a bit further down to TripleHelix's post, and thats dated 2014.
The version WRSA v.90135 and above functions properly on Windows 10.
I know im new and not well known yet, but i promise if i dont know or am not sure i will not post a reply. PeAcE

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
None taken my friend :)
Is Webroot aware of your issue, did you post in the support forums ? If so I can log into the Beta portion of the forums and bring your issue to the attention of the proper support staff, they are usually very friendly and quick to assist.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
By default, whenever Win10 thinks you don't have an AV running, it will enable WD; when it thinks you have one running, it usually disables WD. I had to disable WD from Group Policy since it was activating on boot and not always shutting off.

It's always telling me in the notification centre on boot that I don't have AV protection.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
None taken my friend :)
Is Webroot aware of your issue, did you post in the support forums ? If so I can log into the Beta portion of the forums and bring your issue to the attention of the proper support staff, they are usually very friendly and quick to assist.
I am not running WSA at the moment due to memory leaks. myself am a beta tester in webroot :) I do however run on a windows 8.1 machine and works fine. All i did was to manually disable WD in that machine.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
i use webroot and just upgraded from win7 to win10. defender ran for about a day and then turned off; though, i'm hearing that the mse to defender thing isn't transitioning well on everyone's machines ... so i am unsure if wsa turned defender off or its just a bug?

i did read in webroot's forum that triplehelix did say that wsa did turn off defender in win8. so it will likely do so in win10(?).

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@ChoiceVoice : As much as possible in any case, either WD itself turn off or WSA do it (vice versa); the importance is that an operation occur to give way for third party AV to install and recognize by Action Center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.