Windows Defender Fails to Make Windows 8 Completely Secure – Expert

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Put a HIPS AV in the hands of about 95% of computer users and it won't be long before they will disable it, or take a sledge hammer to the machine. Microsoft knows this, that's why no BB, HIPS, sandbox.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
DrBeenGolfing said:
Put a HIPS AV in the hands of about 95% of computer users and it won't be long before they will disable it, or take a sledge hammer to the machine. Microsoft knows this, that's why no BB, HIPS, sandbox.
If they would just launch a HIPS with no white list, then yes. However if the would build a proper HIPS program than I do think that it could save a user from a few computer infections.
Even better, an Application Reputation System could have been implemented, as Microsoft does have the database need it to pull this off.

Windows 8 Defender (MSE) is a good product, but it has its limitation, if you have no common sense and have some bad habits while using the Internet, sooner or later you will get infected.

I do admit that it's impossible to "completely secure" Windows from this type of newbies, however some additional layers may prevent an infection or two.
And because we are talking about Microsoft, I do think that they could better develop the Limited User Account, so that it will be easier to use, and maybe be installed by default for the user.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Amen on the UAC Limited by default. I'm sure that would get disabled in short oder, too. Next time you have a family reunion, class reunion, meet with non-geek friends or coworkers, just start asking or talking about this stuff and watch their eyes glaze over. You instantly become a Jehovah's Witness or Mormon proselytizing. About the same reaction you'll get talking about the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, or golf.:p

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The problem for MSE being a simple and using signatures/heuristics/generic is literally behind from others however they could integrate that feature from IE the smartscreen filter, enhanced EMET to be a sandbox and etc...

For the meantime they could use with all Microsoft security products for sufficient protection as standalone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.