Windows Defender Is Becoming the Powerful Antivirus That Windows 10 Needs

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I often consider a problem. Just like IE, WD is free and is bound to Windows, so if one day WD really becomes a very powerful product, would the 3rd-party vendors suffer the similar fate with Netscape?
Perhaps the more unpopular ones will... However that is not certain.
What if Windows Defender turns out much-hated like IE8?
Or what if there are still people who do not trust Windows components, and Windows Defender ends up an unused feature - as in the case of MSE.

There are a lot of variables to take into account when it comes to such a scenario, and we cannot be sure of the outcome.
Only time will tell.

Besides, 3rd party vendors offer technologies which Microsoft wouldn't dare implement to Windows, in order to avoid over-complexity. That gives the 3rd party vendors an edge regarding additional protection mechanisms.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I often consider a problem. Just like IE, WD is free and is bound to Windows, so if one day WD really becomes a very powerful product, would the 3rd-party vendors suffer the similar fate with Netscape?
I think it it will be a long time before that would happen.However we see that with Windows 10 Microsoft is moving to make the OS more and more independent upon 3rd party programs.A sort of all inclusive operating system if you will. It only makes sense for them to improve the security aspect of it.Making the built in security better is only going to benefit the average home user which,in my opinion,they hold some responsibility for their customers security.
As for the security part I think they are a ways away from implementing the technology offered by 3rd party security vendors whose main focus is malware.

Last edited:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015

May not. If windows defender gets stronger the entire anti virus software vendors would be forced perform better that includes free anti virus vendors too which is good for the consumers ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Here is the always drawback for WD, do Microsoft willing to improve more and totally beat the 3rd party AV? Because sometimes restrictions in order to respect others for healthy competition. We should know that Microsoft has the tools to rapid check all transmitted data for testing and not admit of having poor on it.

WD definitely change a lot and can detect more than 80% the threats including zero day, of course in response time is different story already.

H

hjlbx

Pre-W10 Windows Defender is a resource hog and it often causes problems during malware removal.

However, I will admit, it has gotten better over the years... the Pre-W10 version has a long ways to go.

Reactions: Crystal_Lake_Camper

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
indeed, if WD start to get HIPS/BB etc... other vendors will accuse MS to try to get a monopoly over security softs...
So then the solution, I guess, would be to develop a standalone BB kinda like what they do with EMET.

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
Reason for Windows defender improvement may be likely due to the more and more windows defender users with windows 10 already crossed 200 million users. Just my guess though.
the reason why is coz MS is trying to push win 10 hard. as we all know it is not as stable as 7 yet and many still use win 7.

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
Interesting news. I hope AV vendor can improve their software to catch up with this development.

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
Or what if there are still people who do not trust Windows components, and Windows Defender ends up an unused feature - as in the case of MSE.
MSE is used and it is using the same signature as WD. it has some improvement on win 10.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.