Advice Request Windows Defender Security Centre closes

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
After installing some WIndows Updates this week I can't seem to open Windows Defender Security Centre anymore. I can see it running in the system tray:

upload_2018-3-8_13-16-7.png

But when I try to double click this is opens and closes very quickly. If I try to open it from Settings:

upload_2018-3-8_13-17-11.png

It also doesn't open. Logging in as an admin doesn't help either.

I had a look in Event Viewer and can't see any errors and it seems to still be updating (I think) but I just can't get the GUI to open to check/change things.

Any ideas how I can launch Windows Defender Security Centre again?

I thought it may be AppGuard so I disabled it temporarily but it didn't seem to help.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-8_13-18-20.png
    upload_2018-3-8_13-18-20.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 409
Reactions: vtqhtr413

MITKH

Level 3
Verified
Nov 4, 2014
Unfortunately, I also got into the problem with Windows 10.
I can fix the problem by switching windows.

MITKH

Level 3
Verified
Nov 4, 2014
Switching Windows?

Windows Defender was just one problem.
I had some other problems.
I did a lot, but did not answer.
I had to change Windows.

Windows 10/1709, unfortunately, had a lot of problems since the release.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Did you try the Troubleshooter in Windows Settings?

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
Windows Defender was just one problem.
I had some other problems.
I did a lot, but did not answer.
I had to change Windows.

Windows 10/1709, unfortunately, had a lot of problems since the release.

It's really strange because I have been running 1709 since it was released and it's been really good.

If this is going to be an issue hopefully 1803 sorts it out!

I

illumination

Thanks, I tried that and it came back clean.
Did you try running a DISM scan?

In command prompt type (dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth)

Run it, let it finish, then restart the system.

I would say look in start up services, but as you pointed out, it is running already, but not able to open. You have not stated that any third party application was installed and removed that could have caused this, so from this little info, it sounds of file corruption, whether by MS or a 3rd party.

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
Did you try running a DISM scan?

In command prompt type (dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth)

Run it, let it finish, then restart the system.

I would say look in start up services, but as you pointed out, it is running already, but not able to open. You have not stated that any third party application was installed and removed that could have caused this, so from this little info, it sounds of file corruption, whether by MS or a 3rd party.

I ran dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth successfully and rebooted but I still can't launch the security centre.

I

illumination

I ran dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth successfully and rebooted but I still can't launch the security centre.
Without any more information to lead to the cause at hand, only thing I could recommend is refreshing/reset your copy of windows 10 via settings/update&security/recovery/reset this PC. You can chose to refresh the system and keep your personal files intact.

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
I installed the Office updates released this week. Argh, if a reset/refresh is needed of Win10 then I will leave it broken. 1803 is just around the corner so I will wait ti upgrade to that. Thanks for the help!

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Make sure you have a file named "wscui.cpl" in Windows\system32 folder. If yes, try to start it, if no, you can copy it from another PC. just type wscui.cpl in cortana

• Start the .exe manually
Right-click and 'run as administrator' on C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
Make sure you have a file named "wscui.cpl" in Windows\system32 folder. If yes, try to start it, if no, you can copy it from another PC. just type wscui.cpl in cortana

• Start the .exe manually
Right-click and 'run as administrator' on C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe

Thanks for the suggestions. I could run wscui.cpl just fine and got this:

upload_2018-3-8_20-22-33.png

Running MSASCui.exe gave me the old Defender:

upload_2018-3-8_20-18-31.png

Not sure what this proves though?

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-8_20-18-1.png
    upload_2018-3-8_20-18-1.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 515

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No I didn't. There doesn't seem to be an option to troubleshoot Defender?
Try the Windows Update troubleshoot, worth a shot.

Are all the required Defender-related services running?

upload_2018-3-8_23-35-1.png

(x)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.