Battle Windows Defender vs Avast Free Antivirus - which one for kids computer?

danielsak

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 21, 2015
Hello!
I would like to protect computer used by kids.

Operating system: Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
Computer use: internet, entertainment, games, games and again games Smile
Computer specification: sufficient (4 cores, 8 GB RAM, unfortunately HDD)
Budget: only free software

I would expect Polish language version.

What do you think about built-in Windows Defender - is it a good solution?

I thought to install Unchecky, which will be protect from accidental installation of toolbars, malicious search engines and other junk.

For the browser of course I would like to install uBlock Origin to minimize the risk of clicking malicious ads and redirecting to the infected pages.

Do you recommend any extension that shows the site reputation? WOT (Web of Trust) or SiteAdvisor from McAfee or something?

Anything else?

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
Hello!
I would like to protect computer used by kids.

Operating system: Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
Computer use: internet, entertainment, games, games and again games Smile
Computer specification: sufficient (4 cores, 8 GB RAM, unfortunately HDD)
Budget: only free software

I would expect Polish language version.

What do you think about built-in Windows Defender - is it a good solution?

I thought to install Unchecky, which will be protect from accidental installation of toolbars, malicious search engines and other junk.

For the browser of course I would like to install uBlock Origin to minimize the risk of clicking malicious ads and redirecting to the infected pages.

Do you recommend any extension that shows the site reputation? WOT (Web of Trust) or SiteAdvisor from McAfee or something?

Anything else?
As for learning curve, ease of use, Windows defender hands down is as simple as it gets. If you would like to secure the system, then place the Windows 10 account on a Local account and not Admin, in the security center in App & Browser control "provided you are on the Creators update, you can switch "Check Apps and Files" from Warn to Block. Adding Ublock to the browser is also a good idea, as you are probably aware of the multitude of filter choices, and also last but not least, back ups of the system, just in case.

This will be about as kid friendly as you can make it.

Malware Person

Level 4
Verified
Jun 8, 2016
As for learning curve, ease of use, Windows defender hands down is as simple as it gets. If you would like to secure the system, then place the Windows 10 account on a Local account and not Admin, in the security center in App & Browser control "provided you are on the Creators update, you can switch "Check Apps and Files" from Warn to Block. Adding Ublock to the browser is also a good idea, as you are probably aware of the multitude of filter choices, and also last but not least, back ups of the system, just in case.

This will be about as kid friendly as you can make it.
and also listen to him. very good advice

Reactions: danielsak

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Hands down Avast. Set Avast to 'Hardened Mode Aggressive' and add a password. This will block them from installing anything not on Avast's Whitelist.

@S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t had good advice, but checking "Allow apps from store only" will block all .exe files from the internet, which may be good or bad depending on your situation. Using a limited account would be enough (requires a password every time they try to install a program).

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Hands down Avast. Set Avast to 'Hardened Mode Aggressive' and add a password. This will block them from installing anything not on Avast's Whitelist.

@S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t had good advice, but checking "Allow apps from store only" will block all .exe files from the internet, which may be good or bad depending on your situation. Using a limited account would be enough (requires a password every time they try to install a program).

Perfect, Avast! hardened mode is amazing for kids computer.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
WD is highly not recommended for happy clickers. People may end up regretting using it for other people. We can use it but our friends and family members may not

My obvious recommendation is Avast with hardened mode aggressive + disable windows script host via registry + bonus disable of powershell. This can be better than most AVs or most other security products without any concern

by the way, I also install unchecky and appcheck antiransomware for other PCs
appcheck or kaspersky antiransomware are recommended especially for happy clickers

EDIT: add avira browser safety for your browser :)
you have enough layers of protection for your kids

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A third party antivirus will definitely exert a lot of maximum protection because of different components, hence one of the prime example is Avast Free.

With Avast Free you can maximize the protection through Hardening Mode (aggressive) which acts as Anti-Exe based, so it will block any executable which will considered unknown or malicious.

Also make the account as Limited to avoid any execution of programs when the AV bypassed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.