Battle Windows Defender vs Avast Free Antivirus - which one for kids computer?

danielsak

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 21, 2015
Hello!
I would like to protect computer used by kids.

Operating system: Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
Computer use: internet, entertainment, games, games and again games Smile
Computer specification: sufficient (4 cores, 8 GB RAM, unfortunately HDD)
Budget: only free software

I would expect Polish language version.

What do you think about built-in Windows Defender - is it a good solution?

I thought to install Unchecky, which will be protect from accidental installation of toolbars, malicious search engines and other junk.

For the browser of course I would like to install uBlock Origin to minimize the risk of clicking malicious ads and redirecting to the infected pages.

Do you recommend any extension that shows the site reputation? WOT (Web of Trust) or SiteAdvisor from McAfee or something?

Anything else?

Hector1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 4, 2015
I will add adguard or ublock origin addons, voodoshield free, UAC set at max, smartscreen at block and sanboxie free for browsing...light and secure.

Reactions: shmu26

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
Hands down Avast. Set Avast to 'Hardened Mode Aggressive' and add a password. This will block them from installing anything not on Avast's Whitelist.

@S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t had good advice, but checking "Allow apps from store only" will block all .exe files from the internet, which may be good or bad depending on your situation. Using a limited account would be enough (requires a password every time they try to install a program).
I mentioned allow apps from store because it blocks from the internet and also because it is not difficult to flip it from block to warn in order to install anything needed then flip it back to block. The OP wanted simple and free. It is about as uncomplicated as you can make it.

Personally, I set up an older laptop with Linux, hid the browsers and anything to do with settings and system, placed learning applications from edubuntu and a few games in the quick launch for my kids then called it a day, and they absolutely love it.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
It would be good to learn kids using Standard User Account (SUA) - that is the more important thing.
Removing User Admin Rights Mitigates 94% of All Critical Microsoft Vulnerabilities
The rest depends on how much time you like/can spend to help children with installing games/programs.
If you want to install games by yourself, and like to learn something about Windows security, then you can choose two account security system. Administrator account for you to install (update) games/programs and system maintenance. Totally locked SUA for kids - only for gaming and already installed programs that do not require elevation. This is a super secure system, because kids cannot install anything and cannot run new programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Syafiq

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
If the computer is a present for the kids of your friend (for example), do not bother, and simply install Avast free with default settings. The kids without adult control will infect computer, anyway. There is nothing you can do to prevent this. Why Avast? Your friend may read on the Internet that Defender is a crap, and it will be hard to persuade him that he is wrong!

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I would simply use Windows Defender, and block the installation of all apps outside of the Windows Store.
A good web filtering is heavy reccomended too, if the kids are happy clickers (very likely) :)

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Personally I'd choose a different approach. I'd set up a VM machine with Oracle VirtualBox (free), Windows of version after choice basic protection such as defender. Then I'd take a snapshot of the configuration a let my kids loose to explore the beauty of computers and Internet. And when all goes to s*** which it surely will sooner or later I'd make them try fix it for themselves before rolling back to earlier snapshot. This might not be a suitable approach if the kids are too young which there is no info of. Otherwise this would be my #1choice.

Reactions: Syafiq and ZeroDay

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
Personally I'd choose a different approach. I'd set up a VM machine with Oracle VirtualBox (free), Windows of version after choice basic protection such as defender. Then I'd take a snapshot of the configuration a let my kids loose to explore the beauty of computers and Internet. And when all goes to s*** which it surely will sooner or later I'd make them try fix it for themselves before rolling back to earlier snapshot. This might not be a suitable approach if the kids are too young which there is no info of. Otherwise this would be my #1choice.
Children should never be "turned lose" without adult supervision period, the internet is a dangerous place. My children sit right next to me at my computer desk on the laptop i have set up for them, and i can view what they are doing at all times. Age is not a factor when it comes to keeping your children safe.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Very good choice.

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Children should never be "turned lose" without adult supervision period, the internet is a dangerous place. My children sit right next to me at my computer desk on the laptop i have set up for them, and i can view what they are doing at all times. Age is not a factor when it comes to keeping your children safe.
I partly agree with you. My kids know that I'm able to find out what they do online. Also we discuss and reson about most things small and big. This is the way it's been since they were around 12 and the result is a couple of malware infections, no pr0n and no issues of borrowing creditcards. My filosofi is freedom with responsibilities. If you want to oversee every move your kids do its fine by me but I don't think it's a way that stimulates learning and responsibility. Just my thoughts...

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
I partly agree with you. My kids know that I'm able to find out what they do online. Also we discuss and reson about most things small and big. This is the way it's been since they were around 12 and the result is a couple of malware infections, no pr0n and no issues of borrowing creditcards. My filosofi is freedom with responsibilities. If you want to oversee every move your kids do its fine by me but I don't think it's a way that stimulates learning and responsibility. Just my thoughts...
I watch over my kids so i can guide them through the learning process, and with this, they are never unattended while on a computer.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.