Advice Request Is it safe to use Windows Firewall Control (WFC)? Can you recommend a better alternative?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I used it for a long while but don't like that it breaks connection instead of pausing when program tries to dial out and on certain programs or games that push out updates that sets you up for a frustrating loop of allow oh the connection broke so the program tried to dial out again with another temp file and it's blocked again etc etc etc.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
is there a better firewall to use nowadays please
There is FortKnox (last time updated today, free without AV?), but it lacks the ability to add IP ranges and they said, that they do not plan adding it. :(
I like Sphinx WFC, but creating rules is a pain, especially in the paid version and it looks to be abandonware. FreeFirewall is a joke. Comodo is, what it is.
Zone Alarm is a basic one with a touch of HIPS, but no advanced rules, like Glasswire, though that one looks incredibly nice and has some nice features.
As for MS Firewall, I think there is only simplewall. I love MS Firewall, but creating rules by hand is so annoying. At least TCP UDP Watch makes it possible.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I used it for a long while but don't like that it breaks connection instead of pausing when program tries to dial out and on certain programs or games that push out updates that sets you up for a frustrating loop of allow oh the connection broke so the program tried to dial out again with another temp file and it's blocked again etc etc etc.
You use simplewall if I'm right? From your post I take simplewall pauses connections instead of breaking? simplewall used to break instead of pausing the last time I used it(over a year ago) so I'm glad the developer made this change(if I'm assuming right here).

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Same for the new TinyWall v.3.0.
Thanks for info. I thought, that TinyWall is dead. But it is definitely not to my liking. :D
No annoying popups
That is exactly what I want from a firewall, so I would not have to create rules by hand, plus a possible malware warning.
Not to mention, it does not allow IPs/IP ranges either, just ports. But maybe it will get there eventually, only time will tell.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
You use simplewall if I'm right? From your post I take simplewall pauses connections instead of breaking? simplewall used to break instead of pausing the last time I used it(over a year ago) so I'm glad the developer made this change(if I'm assuming right here).
Yes it now pauses! My daughter is still using it BUT i (as always testing lol) am now using BWMeter DeskSoft - BWMeter - Powerful bandwidth meter, monitor and traffic controller and man I am impressed. It does the pause feature plus has where you can see your traffic at a glance (Like glasswire) and are you ready for this, the installer is less that 2 mb! But not free. :( You can't beat simplewall for free but it was doing the same problem with a game that was trying to update. This BW Meter runs very lightly and highly configurable.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Yes it now pauses! My daughter is still using it BUT i (as always testing lol) am now using BWMeter DeskSoft - BWMeter - Powerful bandwidth meter, monitor and traffic controller and man I am impressed. It does the pause feature plus has where you can see your traffic at a glance (Like glasswire) and are you ready for this, the installer is less that 2 mb! But not free. :( You can't beat simplewall for free but it was doing the same problem with a game that was trying to update. This BW Meter runs very lightly and highly configurable.
I see. The breaking issue wasn't a major issue for me but it was annoying issue nonetheless. Software installers and updates used to fail many times. I'm glad the developer made the change. I wish WFC developer would implement this too but maybe its a limitation of being based on Windows Firewall.
I've seen mentions of BWmeter software in the past but didn't look deep into it. Sounds very interesting.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Rough sorting that I thought of.
■ Easy control of in and out (Microsoft is given preferential treatment)
wfc
... you can make adjustments to block Microsoft communication.
■ Control in and out without giving preferential treatment to Microsoft
simple wall
... may require essential outband knowledge
■ Adjust the permission rules on the out side
Tiny wall
... the basics are blocks, so there is no concept of creating rules for blocks.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
This simplewall is built on Windows Filtering Platform, not Windows Firewall. Same for the new TinyWall v.3.0.
Sorry for resurrect this thread, but what is the difference exactly?

Rough sorting that I thought of.
■ Easy control of in and out (Microsoft is given preferential treatment)
wfc
... you can make adjustments to block Microsoft communication.
■ Control in and out without giving preferential treatment to Microsoft
simple wall
I'm currently using WFC. I like it - despite i didn't find a learning mode.

Simplewall is better than WFC in any way?

ty guys!

Reactions: Protomartyr

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I used WFC for more than a year. After some time i realized it wasn't necessary and it was causing more inconveniences that it should. As long as i can keep the system clean, i'm not worried any more. For now, i'm just using H_C firewall hardening and blocked all incoming connections with windows firewall.

Reactions: Thales

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I am new to WFC started with v6.9.9.0 a week or 2 ago, today 18 Dec 2023 it updated to 6.9.9.1 -- not sure where best to post this, or is any thread keeping track of this...:unsure:

Reactions: silversurfer

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.