Advice Request Windows Firewall Control - will Malwarebytes continue developing it as a separate product?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
Malwarebytes will allow BiniSoft to retain its current name, supplemented by Malwarebytes branding for the near future.

The company also said it is "committed to maintaining the mission of the BiniSoft products and its features," and so it does not appear that closure of the startup or product sunsetting is on the horizon.
Malwarebytes acquires Windows Firewall control firm BiniSoft | ZDNet

This reads as though WFC is heading in the same direction as AdwCleaner. It will more or less keep the UI and features while getting a bigger budget for improvements.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Do you think we have to say bye bye to binisoft as stand alone firewall front end. Any other alternative? i see tiny wall not development active

Last change was in 2016, can't imagine that it would work perfectly with all the changes that windows has implemented through the years

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Last change was in 2016, can't imagine that it would work perfectly with all the changes that windows has implemented through the years

It still works fine since MS hasn't changed its Firewall in a while, but the installer at the dev's site doesn't function in W10 1709 and above. No one seems to know what happed to the developer as he dropped off the radar. Many people including myself use TinyWall. This guy on GitHub made an installer. If you're willing to drink the Kool-Aid you may find it at the bottom of the page here:
Windows 10 Privacy Guide - Spring Creators Update

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
It still works fine since MS hasn't changed its Firewall in a while, but the installer at the dev's site doesn't function in W10 1709 and above. No one seems to know what happed to the developer as he dropped off the radar. Many people including myself use TinyWall. This guy on GitHub made an installer. If you're willing to drink the Kool-Aid you may find it at the bottom of the page here:
Windows 10 Privacy Guide - Spring Creators Update

I think this is the first sign of tinywall breaking, has anyone tried to email the dev and see if he will issue an update to fix it? I understand that tinywall is running on optional donations and the dev might not be so inclined to work on tinywall anymore

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I think this is the first sign of tinywall breaking, has anyone tried to email the dev and see if he will issue an update to fix it? I understand that tinywall is running on optional donations and the dev might not be so inclined to work on tinywall anymore

I emailed him once in Fall ‘17 and once about 3 months ago. No reply. And I donated early in ‘17.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Malwarebytes acquiring WFC could be a good thing or a bad thing, time will tell. I just don't like the direction Malwarebytes is heading, seems like they are doing an Avast, trying to do too much which results in none of it being done well.

Tinywall is the closest thing to binisoft WFC

TinyWall is essentially dead at the moment. It won't install on Windows 10 because its certificate has been deactivated. There is a workaround version available for those that just have to have it.

The developer stated he is crafting the new version very, very slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.