Advice Request Windows Firewall: What outbound rules to enable vital Windows processes/services?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I am slowly learning to configure Windows Firewall to block all outbound connections, except needed apps and vital Windows services. I could use some help about the processes needed for Windows Update and other essentials. I've been researching this with limited success. :unsure: Thanks in advance for any replies.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
@Vasudev - I don't wish to use a 3rd party GUI or a separate WFP-based app like Simplewall. Too many bugs, popups, etc. Making Windows Firewall rules is not complex, but it is difficult to find information about needed processes, e.g. Windows Update - what I need to enable it.
By default, OS essential services aren't blocked unless you used Telemetry block rules for windows firewall as ps1 script.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I am slowly learning to configure Windows Firewall to block all outbound connections, except needed apps and vital Windows services. I could use some help about the processes needed for Windows Update and other essentials. I've been researching this with limited success. :unsure: Thanks in advance for any replies.
Doing it without 3-rd party software will be painful for you. Furthermore, that can be effective for the users' privacy and against simple malware. The more complex malware will simply inject into one of the system processes (like svchost.exe) or use the process hollowing method to hide.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The user can set firewall to 'Outbound Connections that do not match a rule are blocked.'
Use 'Advanced settings' >> 'Windows Firewall Properties', choose your active profile and set 'Outbound connections' from 'Allow (default)' to 'Block'

This will block by default outbound connections for the chosen firewall profile, except the green rules, which can be seen under the Outbound connections tab. So, the system processes, web browser, MS Store, will be allowed, but most applications will be blocked.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The user can set firewall to 'Outbound Connections that do not match a rule are blocked.'
Use 'Advanced settings' >> 'Windows Firewall Properties', choose your active profile and set 'Outbound connections' from 'Allow (default)' to 'Block'

View attachment 208748

This will block by default outbound connections for the chosen firewall profile, except the green rules, which can be seen under the Outbound connections tab. So, the system processes, web browser, MS Store, will be allowed, but most applications will be blocked.
View attachment 208749

I have already done this, which is the easy part. Windows seems to work this way EXCEPT for Windows Update. I'm scratching my head trying to understand the required process(s) to make it functional. :unsure:

Edit: I have already enabled Edge and SmartScreen. (y)

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Windows seems to work this way EXCEPT for Windows Update.
As far as I know, WU requires only svchost, but lately I allow all outbound, so maybe I have missed something. :unsure:
Code:
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Svchost DNS" dir=out action=allow protocol=UDP remoteport=53 program="%WINDIR%\System32\svchost.exe"
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Svchost TCP" dir=out action=allow protocol=TCP remoteport=80,443 program="%WINDIR%\System32\svchost.exe"

I use LiveTcpUdpWatch to find out network traffic, since it logs traffic. Like, I could not figure out, how to get Update Time v1.2 working, because it makes the connection so fast, that it only blinks in network monitors like currports. Then I found this little gem from nirsoft.

True, I haven't seen a good tutorial for configuring Windows Firewall. :giggle:
People, who tried it, ended in a psychiatric ward. Just setting up loopback can be changeling and do not even get me started on LAN network. :emoji_expressionless:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I tested the setup from my previous post. It seems that it partially restricts the connections of system processes. For example, without any rule for svchost.exe, the firewall blocked downloading files via bitsadmin.exe and also via PowerShell with BitsTransfer cmdlet (both use BITS). The same effect was when I allowed svchost.exe with a safe option: Allow the connection if it is authenticated and integrity-protected. But, if svchost.exe was fully allowed by the firewall rule, then the download was allowed.
The similar is probably true for Windows Updates.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
As far as I know, WU requires only svchost, but lately I allow all outbound, so maybe I have missed something. :unsure:
Code:
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Svchost DNS" dir=out action=allow protocol=UDP remoteport=53 program="%WINDIR%\System32\svchost.exe"
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Svchost TCP" dir=out action=allow protocol=TCP remoteport=80,443 program="%WINDIR%\System32\svchost.exe"
After applying the above rules, the Firewall can be bypassed again by the downloaders which uses bitsadmin.exe and PowerShell with BitsTransfer cmdlet.:(

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I tested the setup from my previous post. It seems that it partially restricts the connections of system processes. For example, without any rule for svchost.exe, the firewall blocked downloading files via bitsadmin.exe and also via PowerShell with BitsTransfer cmdlet (both use BITS). The same effect was when I allowed svchost.exe with a safe option: Allow the connection if it is authenticated and integrity-protected. But, if svchost.exe was fully allowed by the firewall rule, then the download was allowed.
The similar is probably true for Windows Updates.

I was taking this route, but got this warning message which I did not fully understand:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
After applying the above rules, the Firewall can be bypassed again by the downloaders which uses bitsadmin.exe and PowerShell with BitsTransfer cmdlet.:(
So I guess, not allowing any Windows processes is a good choice then, while allowing them only temporarily, when updating and such.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
So I guess, not allowing any Windows processes is a good choice then, while allowing them only temporarily, when updating and such.

Yes, that is what I believe now. Without any testing, I got the funny feeling that enabling some Windows processes was not a good idea. I have Edge, Brave Beta, AV and VodooShield working. I guess that's all I need. So it's not rocket science after all, if one takes the approach you suggest. Making the rules is definitely not the problem.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.