AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Linked page has a download for the latest ISO of the Longhorn project MS was working on back in 2003-2005. This ISO is the last in the meaningful branches of the project, which became "a mess" afterwards when security changes were added to later builds. Plenty of good information:

The main page of the site has links to articles and tips for using the OS and for enhancing Longhorn. Accounts say it is fully functional and even fluid, but I haven't yet verified the claims. If anyone is feeling nostalgic and would care to install the OS, the key is located on the linked download page. Probably going to be a while for me to get around to working with such a toy. Not sure whether to VM this or go for a full install. I expect it should be a fairly good look at the design process of the times at MS at any rate.

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
It's about XP, isn't it?:giggle:

LOL yes not much more than XP. However, I haven't ever used Vista for any amount of time, and LH has a number of the features chosen for Vista. Appears to have the burner built in and some other features. Probably will install it on a VM just to see if anything interesting is there...

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
LOL yes not much more than XP. However, I haven't ever used Vista for any amount of time, and LH has a number of the features chosen for Vista. Appears to have the burner built in and some other features. Probably will install it on a VM just to see if anything interesting is there...

There are 8-9 computers in my household... I have several, and multiple of my family members have several. Every one is on Windows 10.... except one. My old HP desktop with Windows Vista.

People don't understand why I don't get rid of it...

It's like keeping an old car as a hobby. It's like nursing a wounded tree for years and years... It's like an old pair of shoes that you keep beyond the normal life and beyond your needs...

I like Vista -- which is getting really rare these days.

I have to play around with it quite a bit to keep it going. I recently put an old copy of Ewido on there.... for those who remember Ewido. And it works perfectly. No signature updates of course..

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Wish I had a Vista key. The small amount of time I have spent on it left me with the impression that it was the best OS from MS as far as PC operation goes. I can see why it would have frustrated IT and Network managers though. Too many bells and whistles for them.

I would like to see what would have happened if MS had split development into two branches, like Vista (Longhorn) and Vista->Windows 7. Maybe further development in the Vista (Longhorn) style could have produced for home operators better than W10. The Windows 7 line would have been fine for large networks, maybe with another service pack for W7 or an upgrade for the OS like SE for Windows 98, all of which aimed at securability.

Vista definitely has its highlights for me. Then it's back to the reality of limited hardware compatibility and limits with .NET and DirectX. Frustrating, and that's why I think it would be interesting to see where things would have gone if home and office versions after Vista had been on completely separate branches of Windows development...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Wish I had a Vista key. The small amount of time I have spent on it left me with the impression that it was the best OS from MS as far as PC operation goes. I can see why it would have frustrated IT and Network managers though. Too many bells and whistles for them.

I would like to see what would have happened if MS had split development into two branches, like Vista (Longhorn) and Vista->Windows 7. Maybe further development in the Vista (Longhorn) style could have produced for home operators better than W10. The Windows 7 line would have been fine for large networks, maybe with another service pack for W7 or an upgrade for the OS like SE for Windows 98, all of which aimed at securability.

Vista definitely has its highlights for me. Then it's back to the reality of limited hardware compatibility and limits with .NET and DirectX. Frustrating, and that's why I think it would be interesting to see where things would have gone if home and office versions after Vista had been on completely separate branches of Windows development...
Heck, if you want to waste your time on a fascinating OS that has major hardware and software compatibility problems, and is never going to get there, then why not install Linux? :)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Heck, if you want to waste your time on a fascinating OS that has major hardware and software compatibility problems, and is never going to get there, then why not install Linux? :)
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

It's like keeping an old car as a hobby. It's like nursing a wounded tree for years and years... It's like an old pair of shoes that you keep beyond the normal life and beyond your needs...

Absolutely, just look at the Vista users over at Wilders. I have old radios. (y)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
To be fair, I upgraded from XP to Vista as soon as it was released and it ran very well. While there were certainly some systems on which the original release of Vista has major issues, the issues were fixed with the two service packs. With Service Packs 1 and 2 installed, Vista runs nearly as well as Windows 7.

I can understand people wanting to try Longhorn, as it's something different. It's not just a beta version of Vista. It has a different user interface which looks very nice.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Longhorn was the original name for Vista.

Here is an interesting article about it.

That looks more modern and futuristic than any Windows till date. Its pretty sad that MS never bother to listen what their customers wanted.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.