Troubleshoot Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool Failed to Install

Moi61

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
I just noticed it last week that Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool failed to install and when I checked the update history, it had already been like this since August 2016. Why is this so? How can I troubleshoot it. Thanks a lot.

Tabeer

Level 3
Verified
Dec 3, 2015
If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had expired when the machine first got infectedand/or your subscription has since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted software), and adware.
1. Download/run the MSRT manually
2. Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.

Upvote 0

Moi61

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
It still doen't install or scan. But, I am very sure I am not infected with a malware. I still don not know how to solve this. Maybe this is a Windows 10 bug.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.