Windows PowerShell Is Showing This After Trying To Fix Meltdown And Spectre Security Flaws

The Security Guy

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2017
I followed the guide at BleepingComputer to fix the Meltdown and Spectre security flaws(www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/how-to-check-and-update-windows-systems-for-the-meltdown-and-spectre-cpu-flaws/). But after following the guide and running the Get-SpeculationControlSettings Windows PowerShell command at last I got this.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-SpeculationControlSettings
Speculation control settings for CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection]

Hardware support for branch target injection mitigation is present: False
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is enabled: False
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by system policy: False
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by absence of hardware support: True

Speculation control settings for CVE-2017-5754 [rogue data cache load]

Hardware requires kernel VA shadowing: True
Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is present: False
Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is enabled: False

Suggested actions

* Install BIOS/firmware update provided by your device OEM that enables hardware support for the branch target injectio
n mitigation.
* Install the latest available updates for Windows with support for speculation control mitigations.
* Follow the guidance for enabling Windows support for speculation control mitigations are described in https://support
.microsoft.com/help/4072698

BTIHardwarePresent : False
BTIWindowsSupportPresent : True
BTIWindowsSupportEnabled : False
BTIDisabledBySystemPolicy : False
BTIDisabledByNoHardwareSupport : True
KVAShadowRequired : True
KVAShadowWindowsSupportPresent : False
KVAShadowWindowsSupportEnabled : False
KVAShadowPcidEnabled : False

Instead of what it should have been as shown in the guide I am getting False at these parts:

Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is present: False
Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is enabled: False

What is the problem? I had followed the guide as it was.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.