Guide | How To Windows Home/Pro owner? Use Software Restriction Policies!

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Can you explain my what this Hash check mean?
What is the difference between Path and Hash check?

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I installed EMET, but I have to run as admin for it to open, now do I need to whitelist it in order for it to work correctly in protecting my pc?

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Also add Windows folder.
Did you read all in this thread?

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Can you explain my what this Hash check mean?
What is the difference between Path and Hash check?

Here is a good explanation:
"A hash is a series of bytes with a fixed length that uniquely identifies a program or file. A hash value is generated by an algorithm that essentially creates a fingerprint of the file, making it nearly impossible for another program to have the same hash. If you create a hash rule and a user attempts to run a program affected by the rule, the system checks the hash value of the executable file and compares it with the hash value stored in the software restriction policy. If the two match, the policy settings will apply. Therefore, creating a hash rule for an application executable prevents the application from running if the hash value is not correct. Because the hash value is based on the file itself, the file will continue to function if you move it from one location to another. If the executable file is altered in any way, for example, if it is modified or replaced by a worm or virus, the hash rule in the software restriction policy prevents the file from running."
http://prep-for-70-410.blogspot.com/2015/12/configure-application-restriction.html

File hashes are widely used to uniquely identify files, for example Virus Total shows file hashes in "Additional Information" bookmark.
In Windows 10, SRP uses MD5 and SHA-256 cryptographic algorithms to fingerprint the files whitelisted by hash. The second algorithm is pretty good.
The main difference (for whitelisting) between Hash and Path checking is simple. The first can recognize if the file has been changed by malware, the second unfortunately cannot.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Here is a good explanation:
"A hash is a series of bytes with a fixed length that uniquely identifies a program or file. A hash value is generated by an algorithm that essentially creates a fingerprint of the file, making it nearly impossible for another program to have the same hash. If you create a hash rule and a user attempts to run a program affected by the rule, the system checks the hash value of the executable file and compares it with the hash value stored in the software restriction policy. If the two match, the policy settings will apply. Therefore, creating a hash rule for an application executable prevents the application from running if the hash value is not correct. Because the hash value is based on the file itself, the file will continue to function if you move it from one location to another. If the executable file is altered in any way, for example, if it is modified or replaced by a worm or virus, the hash rule in the software restriction policy prevents the file from running."
preparation for 70-410: Configure application restriction policies

File hashes are widely used to uniquely identify files, for example Virus Total shows file hashes in "Additional Information" bookmark.
In Windows 10, SRP uses MD5 and SHA-256 cryptographic algorithms to fingerprint the files whitelisted by hash. The second algorithm is pretty good.
The main difference (for whitelisting) between Hash and Path checking is simple. The first can recognize if the file has been changed by malware, the second unfortunately cannot.
Also, UTC/GMT times also affects hash generated by the software to harden the security. One time Password and Authenticator apps on phones is a good example.
Does EMET require additional setups such as whitelisting apps etc. I simply set max security settings and recently EMET protected me, from installing Java on IE11, BTW Its long time since I used IE so EMET helped me to block it because it was insecure.

D

Deleted member 178

EMET require manual whitelisting, if not some of your softs may be blocked depending the security setting you chose.

H

hjlbx

EMET require manual whitelisting, if not some of your softs may be blocked depending the security setting you chose.

I just tested latest EMET version. It is still a bit buggy - and Microsoft set the EMET service start to Automatic (Delayed) ? It seems to be a little bit of a resource hog too...

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I just tested latest EMET version. It is still a bit buggy - and Microsoft set the EMET service start to Automatic (Delayed) ? It seems to be a little bit of a resource hog too...
I observed delays by over 20 sec if EMET was running on Auto startup on HDD. On SSD, it doesn't matter.

D

Deleted member 178

@Vasudev You can add the exe of the soft you want to whitelist ; have a button somewhere on the GUI, i dont have EMET installed, but someone surely has it and will show you a screenshot.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
After a few months of using SRP, I realized that 'Basic User' security level is vulnerable to simple drive by attack in my computer. It is sufficient to drop malware EXE file and the shortcut to it, and then execute this shortcut. Other extensions are still protected.
Am I stupid or Microsoft is so clever?

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Shortcut will be where (deskotop, Program Files...)?

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
It's not a big deal for home users, because even simple drive by attacks are still successful. So, no one bothers to bypass SRP in the wild. Anyway, I am a little bit disappointed.
I tried to close this loophole by changing security level to DISSALLOWED and removing LNK from SRP protected extensions. And, what happened then? The EXE and MSI files, CMD scripts, and WHS scripts were protected, but CHM, CPL, HTA, MSC, and REG files were not. So it seems to me that SRP with DISSALLOWED setup must be also covered by blacklisting sponsors (hh.exe, control.exe, mshta.exe, mmc.exe, regedit.exe and maybe some others). It resembles blacklisting in Excubits Bouncer but is safer for Windows OS. Sponsors blacklisted in SRP can be still run by processes with Administrative or System Rights.
Of course, the simplest solution is not using shortcuts and blocking them in SRP.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
After a few months of using SRP, I realized that 'Basic User' security level is vulnerable to simple drive by attack in my computer. It is sufficient to drop malware EXE file and the shortcut to it, and then execute this shortcut. Other extensions are still protected.

Yes, that is true for normal shortcuts. But, in similar way WSH scripts, HTA, and CPL files can be run (3 files have to be dropped in the User Space). That is not good.:(

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Well that depends: Microsoft was so clever to protect the folders from which executables are allowed in basic user mode and they called it UAC. So for SRP to be bypassed by a drive by attack, you have to ignore both Smartscreen and UAC.

Reactions: oldschool

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@Windows_Security
I am not so sure about it, in many cases a drive by attack can gently ignore both UAC and Smartscreen. Both malware file and the shortcut can be dropped to the User Space (no copy alert) without 'Mark of the Web' (no Smartscreen check on the run), and executed without elevation (no UAC alert). Thanks to Microsoft, SRP will stop direct malware execution, but sadly, not indirect execution by the shortcut.
It is also interesting, that after copying the same shortcut to the System Space (for example C:\Windows) above trick does not work.
I would like the missing option in SRP to whitelist shortcuts by hash.
By the way, using SRP with something like Voodoo Shield may be a good idea.

@Av Gurus
My reply to your question was not correct, it should be:
Almost anywhere (except whitelisted folders).

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.