Guide | How To Windows Tracking Disable Tool

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
This app will disable the tracking services in Windows 10 as well as some registry tweaks to disable any other processes from tracking your activities,as well as some hidden ones.

Latest releases: https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking/releases

Instructions
  1. Download run.exe below
  2. Right click on 'run.exe' and press "Run as Administrator"
  3. Choose any/all of the options you'd like
  4. Press "Go Private!"
  5. You can read the output at the bottom to see if it worked.
  6. That's it!

You can read the license at Info>About

RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR!
I cannot stress this enough, not running the program as an administrator will result in none of the tweaks being applied.

Changes since v1.4
  • No longer assumes C:\ is the system drive
  • Tooltips!
  • 2nd Telemetry key modification

Downloads
VirusTotal results

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thank You exterminator
I did this manually and noticed that a side effect is that App notifications gets disabled with no way to re-enable it without reverting the changes.
Have you noticed weather or not this tool has the same effect on app notifications ?

PS: Thanks for the heads up gonzalo, I will scan it before messing with it.

Reactions: Moose

randj89

Level 4
Verified
May 7, 2014
I used it and Norton detected suspicious activity but if you guys read the suspicious activity is the hosts file being modified.... And I have no notifications issue.

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
@exterminator20 Thanks for the useful tool. :)
360 essential says is a troyan and it deleted instantly xD :eek:

@gonzalo Qihoo detects it with Heuristic signature (HEUR/QVM10.1.Malware.Gen). Most probably false positive detection. It is also some kind of hacking tool because it changes so call critical stuff in system (registry keys, services and so on). I re-analyzed file with VirusTotal and it was hit with 3 out of 55.

Regards,
Kardo

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
360 essential says is a troyan and it deleted instantly xD :eek:
100 % clean in ESET Smart Security & MBAM.Sometimes just a FP based on the nature of the program.However as always with a program like this use at your own discretion.
I imagine this tool would benefit the inexperienced user more.However it is a handy program.

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
v1.5 is out, https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking/releases/

AV8btDc.gif

Last edited:

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
I already done the registry mod for telemetry. Do i actually need this?

Edit: 360 TS detects it as a trojan. :D

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Edited OP to reflect New Version 1.5.All download links are version v1.5 as v1.4 is outdated

Changes since v1.4
  • No longer assumes C:\ is the system drive
  • Tooltips!
  • 2nd Telemetry key modification
VirusTotal results
Clean in ESS & MBAM

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Vasudev : Its a part of diagnostic tool to collect any reports and issues that was accumulate, its safe to turn off as issues can be solve by many solutions online through research. The image provided on post 9

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
@Vasudev : Its a part of diagnostic tool to collect any reports and issues that was accumulate, its safe to turn off as issues can be solve by many solutions online through research. The image provided on post 9
Sorry shouldn't be using the word "feedback". What I meant was info sent by an app to MS stating a crash occurred while operating a app or some bugs that an app ran into or something else.

Martin_C

Level 1
Verified
Mar 10, 2015
Hmm ...

People are of course free to do what they please.

I will bet though, that A LOT of the users who now disables telemetry, will be the very same people that complain in a year or two when they experience crashes or bugs and there are no solutions ready for them.

How do people expect Microsoft or anybody else to provide them with a smooth user experience, to fix bugs or improve code - if people are not willing to provide information about the incidents that are present ??

I have yet to meet a developer with the ability to simply just sense that you might have a issue on your local PC.

Reactions: Adz. and Vasudev

marcopolo

Aug 31, 2015
Does anyone have an idea exactly this tool does? Since I ran it I have not been able to connect to bing.com and reverting does not seem to fix this. I cannot find anything in windows firewall that is blocking any specific IP.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.