Troubleshoot Windows update error (ox80070006

Vanduss

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2015
I just noticed that windows update hasn't been doing anything for a while so i checked manually and i got this message. Does anyone know what to do?
Screenshot_23.png

Wingman

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 6, 2017
Hi @Vanduss

What is your AV? Symantec recently (less than I week if i remember correctly) had issues where it was blocking windows updates and the issues was fixed with definition updates
What is the update you were trying to install? Any error in the event viewer related to this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
That's an error often associated with Defender
have you had a recent infection ?
Wingman is right, look in event log and pay close attention to what is in there at the time of the update fail.
That's going to be a hard one to fix without the Error log, because you will be left guessing.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.