Windows XP source code leaked online, on 4chan, out of all places

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
The source code for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and other Microsoft operating systems have been published online this week.

The OS sources were leaked online as a 42.9 GB torrent file on 4chan, an online message board often frequented by trolls and extremist groups.
The content of this torrent file includes source code for several of Microsoft's older operating systems, such as Windows 2000, Embedded (CE 3, CE 4, CE 5, CE, 7), Windows NT (3.5 and 4), XP, and Server 2003.
The files also contained the source code of the first Xbox operating system, MS-DOS (3.30 and 6), and the source code for various Windows 10 components.

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Meanwhile I wouldnt worry to much about this leak. I do agree it seems more of a Stunt than anything else, since of all places, this was leaked to 4chan...

You dont really need the source code to reverse engineer something or find loop holes. You can do that already with the OS itself as long as you have a copy... just takes longer.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
"So, upon further inspection, the XP source code might not be as complete as we previously thought, as it doesn't compile a critical file, winlogon.exe However, there is also an Server 2003 sc in that leak, so let's see how far that goes... Stay tuned!" the developer tweeted.

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
I wonder if this will lead to improvement in WINE. I sure hope it will.
They can't and most likely won't even try to touch it with a barge pole for two reasons.
1. To avoid themselves getting sued. Leak doesn't equal to opensource. Proprietary codes don't automatically become opensource if they got leaked. And integrating or using proprietary codes into an opensource project can be illegal.
2. It's against WINE's Clean Room Guidelines.

vaccineboy

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2018
They can't and most likely won't even try to touch it with a barge pole for two reasons.
1. To avoid themselves getting sued. Leak doesn't equal to opensource. Proprietary codes don't automatically become opensource if they got leaked. And integrating or using proprietary codes into an opensource project can be illegal.
2. It's against WINE's Clean Room Guidelines.
I'm not a tech person so in my understanding, I was hoping that it will help them, in private, understand the code better, instead of touch and feel in the dark. But again, I'm not techie so I have no idea how they write WINE code in the 1st place and if this could benefit them in that way.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I'm not a tech person so in my understanding, I was hoping that it will help them, in private, understand the code better, instead of touch and feel in the dark. But again, I'm not techie so I have no idea how they write WINE code in the 1st place and if this could benefit them in that way.
It is always easier to have the source code of the program which you want to emulate, but emulation itself has limitations when a program interacts with drivers or hardware related services, so I would not expect big improvements, Have a look at outlook for instance (link), it never worked well with Wine.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.