Windows XP users already facing malware invasion – before Microsoft “pulls plug”

isuru1

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 12, 2012
Windows XP users already face far higher risks from malware – with XP users facing infection rates six times higher than Windows 8 users, according to a report released by the company. Microsoft will withdraw support for the ageing platform in April next year – despite the fact that one in five PCs on Earth still use it.

Per 1,000 PCs scanned, 9.1 XP machines had been infected – as compared to 1.6 for Windows 8, according to a report by V3.

Microsoft Windows XP was released almost 12 years ago, which is an eternity in technology terms. While we are proud of Windows XP’s success in serving the needs of so many people for more than a decade, inevitably there is a tipping point where dated software and hardware can no longer defend against modern day threats and increasingly sophisticated cybercriminals
Microsoft wrote in a statement this week.

To read more click here

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The company I work for tracks such things, and found that as far as 18 months ago malware that exploits XP vulnerabilities were being developed and hoarded until next year when their effectiveness (and selling price) will be magnified.

Abandon all hope, Ye who use XP.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Unless someone is struggling financially and can't afford a new machine there's really no reason to still be using XP.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
ZeroDay said:
Unless someone is struggling financially and can't afford a new machine there's really no reason to still be using XP.

Which is a lot of people and businesses.
Just recently, I was visiting a friend at a local hospital and I was shocked that all of their computers still use XP same with my bank too.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Actually it's not just struggling people and businesses. An XP machine works. What, you turn it on, operate some machinery, or input some data on a Excel sheet, and that's it. It was bought years ago, and still works. They won't change – and spend money – unless there's a compelling reason. Companies around the world have XP installed en masse. Maybe that will change soon.

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
I can afford an upgrade and will do so, (reluctantly), eventually.

It's just that XP serves most everything I use a computer for anymore...(for the most part)...and I am not looking forward to the learning curve which comes with a new operating system.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
The fact of the matter is, large companies, hospitals and people who find XP 'just works' for them are going to HAVE TO enter the real world and ditch XP soon. In my honest opinion holding on to a dying OS because 'it was bought years ago and just works' Is a joke. Jaspion I'd say an OS no longer being supported is about as compelling as you can get.

Edit: Blues if you update to Windows 7 the learning curve won't be too big. Good luck.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
In 1999 at the turn of the Milena the masses were told to prepare for possible IT Armageddon. It didn't happen. Right now there are millions of PCs around the world that are zombies under the control of bot masters. Presumably those are systems whose OSs are supported, not all of them XP either. The same type of users who get ensnared with supported platforms will undoubtedly become just as ensnared with platforms without, for the same reasons. PC literate/savvy/security conscious users applying appropriate layered defenses will continue as they have been, free of infection and intrusion.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
3link9 said:
ZeroDay said:

Which is a lot of people and businesses.
Just recently, I was visiting a friend at a local hospital and I was shocked that all of their computers still use XP same with my bank too.

aztony said:
In 1999 at the turn of the Milena the masses were told to prepare for possible IT Armageddon. It didn't happen. Right now there are millions of PCs around the world that are zombies under the control of bot masters. Presumably those are systems whose OSs are supported, not all of them XP either. The same type of users who get ensnared with supported platforms will undoubtedly become just as ensnared with platforms without. PC literate/savvy/security conscious users applying appropriate layered defenses will continue as they have been, free of infection and intrusion.

So you believe when XP is no longer supported by MS that as long as you're running a tight security setup you'll be ok? I'm sorry but If there's vulnerabilities in OS it doesn't matter what security setup you're using, you're in trouble. Yes I know there's modern OS's that are used in bot networks but an OS that is no longer supported is a lot more likely to have problems. Read Cruelsisters post above.

I for one wouldn't be happy if I found out my doctors, hospital, bank etc were keeping my records on an unsupported, vulnerable OS that was connected to a network.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Oh and Aztony the whole '99 thing has nothing to do with this. Microsoft are ending support for XP that's a fact! Not a 1999 worry, attackers are already preparing for attacks on XP users (read cruelsisters post) vulnerabilities ARE going to be discovered in XP, MS will NOT be patching those vulnerabilities. I'm sorry but for the most part security setups aren't going stand much of a chance.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
ZeroDay said:
Oh and Aztony the whole '99 thing has nothing to do with this. Microsoft are ending support for XP that's a fact! I'm sorry but for the most part security setups aren't going stand much of a chance.
You are missing the point. My point with the Milena analogy is that in my view all this hype about EOS for XP is mostly hyperbole. There are users, albeit savvy ones, who don't even allow Windows updates on their systems anymore, and have yet to be exploited.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
aztony said:
ZeroDay said:
Oh and Aztony the whole '99 thing has nothing to do with this. Microsoft are ending support for XP that's a fact! I'm sorry but for the most part security setups aren't going stand much of a chance.
You are missing the point. My point with the Milena analogy is that in my view all this hype about EOS for XP is mostly hyperbole. There are users, albeit savvy ones, who don't even allow Windows updates on their systems anymore, and have yet to be exploited.

Exploits will come. There's just no reason to hold onto XP and from a security standpoint it makes a lot of sense to move on.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Just to think all YOUR data is being entered or stored in databases that use Windows XP.

Also
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/european-technology/ok-so-stick-with-windows-xp-but-how-big-a-risk-do-you-run/

Application-level vulnerabilities

Ferguson pointed out that the security issues don't end with the operating system itself. Even if XP were secure, there might be application-level vulnerabilities.

"It's not just the operating system that's going to be out of support. Almost every application running on it will also no longer be patched because it won't be economically worthwhile for the application vendor," he said.

"When Microsoft drops support, so will the application vendors - if they haven't already. If XP is no longer supported by Microsoft I'd be surprised - I'm not saying it's not possible - to see many vendors offering updates. Do we see updates for Flash for Windows 95? I don't think so."

Ferguson said in the age of targeted attacks, one of things attackers assess when doing reconnaissance are the operating systems and applications in use within an enterprise.

"If you're using something like [XP], it's absolute gold dust to an attacker because they'll know that any vulnerabilities that have been announced after a certain date will be zero-days for you," he said.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.