Windscribe 1.80 — Changelog

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

antreas

Thread author
Windscribe now unlocks US Netflix. Connect to the "Windflix" location in our browser extensions (Pro only). Coming soon to desktop apps.

Currently, this version is only available to beta testers. If you want it, go into Preferences -> Debug and tick the “beta channel” checkbox. Wide release will follow next week.
New features

LAN proxy gateway — Proxy Gateway - Windscribe
Secure Hotspot (Experimental) — Secure Hotspot - Windscribe
Variable location drawer height
Auto login after signup
Ability to choose NDIS5 TAP driver
Upgrade to OpenVPN 2.4.x with 2.3.x fallback
Service notifications
Show Pro data-centers to free users
Location latency tool-tips added to signal bars

Fixed bugs

Always on firewall not working on OS boot on some machines
Application crashes after connection attempts are exceeded with “minimize to tray” option checked
Application freeze with firewall ON requires reboot
API calls not made if app starts with no Internet connectivity
Custom installation now allows for non-standard install path
Auto-enable disabled TAP adapter
100% CPU when app starts with no Internet connectivity
Don’t try UDP protocol if system proxy is configured
Constant application window size on variable DPI screens
Login form DPI bug
On multi-screen computers, tool-tips show on primary monitor

Other Changes

Leave firewall ON if ran out of free bandwidth to prevent IP leak
Increase reconnect timeout from 5 min to 1 hour
Server list source changed
Moved server location update process to separate thread
Only do ping tests while disconnected
Update available UI change
Output installed anti-virus software into debug log for troubleshooting
Open survey on application uninstall
Installer command line arg support
Black and white top bar icon on MacOS
Ping nodes in batches instead of all at the same time
Allow for verbose OpenVPN logging via Advanced Parameters screen
When beta channel is selected, check for updates right away

To-do list for next version:

IKEv2 protocol support
Emergency Connect
Firewall whitelisting overhaul
Command line interface
Wakeup from hibernation fix
Add disconnecting state
Async DNS resolver

CoherentCrayon

Level 4
Verified
Jun 23, 2017
Awesome! Swedish Netflix likes to lock the account for "suspicious activity" when using an american IP though

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@windscribe

OK, Windscribe v1.80 is released now

I uninstalled the previous version forcefully and during the installation of the latest version Windscribe says there's no TAP adapter installed asking me to continue or abort. I proceeded to complete the installation.

When I clicked on to connect Windscribe prompted me to install the TAP adapter as there's none installed. I clicked 'Yes' and saw that it was successfully installed. I repeat to connect and again Windscribe prompted me to install the TAP adapter. The cycle repeats.

I installed the latest version on another tablet and its the same problem. There's no TAP adapter. Windscribe cannot connect

Any help?

Thanks

Last edited:

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
@windscribe

OK, Windscribe v1.80 is released now

I uninstalled the previous version forcefully and during the installation of the latest version Windscribe says there's no TAP adapter installed asking me to continue or abort. I proceeded to complete the installation.

When I clicked on to connect Windscribe prompted me to install the TAP adapter as there's none installed. I clicked 'Yes' and saw that it was successfully installed. I repeat to connect and again Windscribe prompted me to install the TAP adapter. The cycle repeats.

I installed the latest version on another tablet and its the same problem. There's no TAP adapter. Windscribe cannot connect

Any help?

Thanks

For help I would submit a ticket here: Submit Ticket - Windscribe

I installed Windscribe v1.80 Build 31 over top of my existing v1.70 installation. I was prompted to shutdown Windscribe to continue with the install. I did so to continue, and then got another prompt to OK the shutdown of the service. Then the install ran normally to completion.

The install went without a hitch, the TAP adapter is still intact, and everything is working well.

I even noticed that now after boot, all network traffic is blocked (firewalled) until Windscribe has completely started and connected successfully. With v1.70 I would see some network traffic connect first with my ISP address, then switch over to Windscribe after it had finished starting up and connecting.

But now Windows networking seems locked down at the startup. Much better now! I guess I was leaking a little bit at boot time before, but I wasn't connecting to any websites. It was just Windows and my AV phoning home for updates, etc., so no big deal. But I like the improvement here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.