Battle Windscribe Free VPN VS Proton VPN Free

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Windscribe Free VPN VS Proton VPN Free. I have a code for 50 GB for Windscribe instead of 10 but Proton VPN has unlimited Bandwidth for the free version but less servers. I want to know what you think is more secure or better in your opinion. I recon ProtonVPN is more secure because of Swiss Privacy Laws compared to Windscribe being located in Canada.

Links to check out. By the way Proton VPN is made by the same people who made ProtonMail which is the main mail service I use.

ProtonVPN: Secure and Free VPN service for protecting your privacy
Windscribe - Free VPN and Ad Block

F

ForgottenSeer 65219

Go for Proton.
I use Windscribe for 1 year but now switch to Proton.
Other than Unlimited bandwidth and security that you mention above, Proton significantly faster in download and upload and has less impact on Ping.
Free servers located very well. United states ( north America ), Netherland ( Europe ), Japan ( east Asia )
As an Iranian who face censorship and filtering you can rely on my long experience with VPN and proxy services :LOL:

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Go for Proton.
I use Windscribe for 1 year but now switch to Proton.
Other than Unlimited bandwidth and security that you mention above, Proton significantly faster in download and upload and has less impact on Ping.
Free servers located very well. United states ( north America ), Netherland ( Europe ), Japan ( east Asia )
As an Iranian who face censorship and filtering you can rely on my long experience with VPN and proxy services :LOL:
Yeah I have just switched yesterday from Windscribe. But I will have Windscribe still installed just in case. :) I like ProtonVPN privacy policy.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yeah I have just switched yesterday from Windscribe. But I will have Windscribe still installed just in case. :) I like ProtonVPN privacy policy.
Can use ProtonMail account to sign in to ProtonVPN or need a separate account fro ProtonVPN?

Because when I tried creating a free ProtonVPN account it asked for my email or SMS. I entered using gmx and lv emails but it's not accepting. Using other emails (e.g. hotmail, gmail, yahoo mail etc) and sms will reveal me.......so no privacy here.....despite the fact that ProtonVPN said

"Your email is not shared with third parties and only used for account related questions and recovery"

Thanks

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
i doubt it would work that way.

b.t.w. i was waiting for your take on this HF. does any of these two vpns do the warrant canary thingy? i have a feeling you will know :)
I'll wait for @Andrew999 to reply first. I think I cannot create a free ProtonVPN account if it cannot accept my gmx or lv emails or ProtonMail account

Not sure if it accepts Tutanota email

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
I haven't used Proton free but I understand it doesn't permit torrenting. Can anyone confirm this?

Being based in a Five Eyes country is a knock against Windscribe, but something else I have found very good about it is their customer support, which is prompt and helpful.
Yes it does have torrenting on some of the paid servers. But not the free version. :) I think the only servers are Netherlands, Sweden and Singapore with the P2P/Torrenting Support. Hope this helps. By the way if you use Windows Client they will give you 7 days free premium once you install so you can try all the servers. Like TOR servers or Torrenting/P2P.

Last edited:

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Can use ProtonMail account to sign in to ProtonVPN or need a separate account fro ProtonVPN?

Because when I tried creating a free ProtonVPN account it asked for my email or SMS. I entered using gmx and lv emails but it's not accepting. Using other emails (e.g. hotmail, gmail, yahoo mail etc) and sms will reveal me.......so no privacy here.....despite the fact that ProtonVPN said

"Your email is not shared with third parties and only used for account related questions and recovery"

Thanks
@HarborFront I used my protonmail account for login. I have a protonmail email address so it was fine for me. You can use the same account for protonmail and ProtonVPN. Otherwise I don't know sorry for other servies eg. hotmail, gmail. but I guess you can.

I just clicked Signup with ProtonMail and it used the same account as my ProtonMail. Just enter your ProtonMail login and it should work. Hope that helps.:)

upload_2017-9-12_21-31-34.png

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Hello, I have the Pro & Plus of both VPN, but i have used the free version of Windscribe for three months, I like especially Windscribe Proxy for Chrome, because I get faster loading times,faster startup and it block ads and scripts.
I think(regarding paid versions)that Proton VPN Plus has the best interface but not so many servers, but they have the function Secure Core which I use very much.
But if you want options I would go for Windscribe(mainly because of their Proxy).
Only my Opinion:)

F

ForgottenSeer 65219

Ok, got the free ProtonVPN working.

Can check with you guys whether the Kill Switch can be activated(checked)? Mine cannot be activated.
Yeah, it can be activated unless you already connected to servers. ( you must disconnect and enable it )
I haven't used Proton free but I understand it doesn't permit torrenting. Can anyone confirm this?

Being based in a Five Eyes country is a knock against Windscribe, but something else I have found very good about it is their customer support, which is prompt and helpful.
They don't allow torrenting on free servers.

A

antreas

I use windscribe pro lifetime i can't say i love it i have some daily problems like disconnect of the vpn or slow speed but i choose windscribe! I like protonmail email provider but never tried the vpn though... If windscribe even go out of business i hope not soon i may try proton vpn.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.