Advice Request WinPatrol - Is it still usable in 2019?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I remember back in the day of XP, that WinPatrol was highly regarded by many before many more sophisticated software came out over time.

Anyone still using it? Would you still trust it as a supplement to your security config?

I did notice that the last update was back in 2017 after the company was sold to Ruiware but no updates ever since. Is the software now RIP?

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
The software is still alive and well, and I am pretty certain it has had updates since 2017. WinPatrol caught an attack for me that Panda Pro missed, so I'm not turning loose of it.

I checked their website, and last update was back in 2017 although the program is still available.

I ask because I recently discovered that I have an old lifetime PLUS license for it, and thinking of using it again being small and unobtrusive to my av.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
The developer is apparently giving more attention to his newer programs, WinAntiRansomware and WinPatrol Firewall (formerly WinPrivacy).

If you have it, I would use WinPatrol Plus. Not only does it provide security, it helps with legitimate programs that have an illegitimate insistence on getting into your autostart. It has some interesting modules that are not well known, such as a cookie manager.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
Do NOT use it, it's not actively developed and is obsolute. Brett were impacted a lot by irma hurricane back then and servers are just kept up. Use alternatives/different software for now.
obsolete? it's a heuristic monitor so it doesn't need constant sig updates. it operates perfectly on win 10. if it doesn't need bug fix updates it doesn't need an update. use it if you want the extra protection. you don't always have to be adding new features to something that isn't broken.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
obsolete? it's a heuristic monitor so it doesn't need constant sig updates. it operates perfectly on Windows 10. if it doesn't need bug fix updates it doesn't need an update. use it if you want the extra protection. you don't always have to be adding new features to something that isn't broken.

I fully agree with @ChoiceVoice I am using it with great success, being an efficient watchdog for my PC.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I've used it in the past, however now its abandonware. It may still work for now but seeing its not being updated there will come a time when a Windows update probably breaks it and then who knows what that may do to your computer.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.