WinPatrol Rar and WinPrivacy Firewall - Layered Protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I became aware of this vendor because of the Lifetime license discount on their WinPrivacy Firewall and WinPatrol Rar Anti-Ransomware/ Malware programs now being offered.

Has anyone here tested these two programs?

Are they effective or just as good as other well known programs that do the same?

Would you use just one or both for layered protection to supplement your AV?

Reactions: XhenEd

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have heard people say that WinPatrol Anti-Ransomware is pretty good.
Their firewall product is not very popular with users on this forum.

@_CyberGhosT_ is pretty knowledgeable about WinPatrol products...

Reactions: frogboy and Davidov

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
As a long time and die-hard fan of Bill Pytlovany, i am sorry to say, that the brand, for me is destroyed. I was a pretty early adopter of Win Antiransom. Soon after, i discovered, that the program will NOT protect ANYTHING residing on a drive other than C:, despite what the program would claim (you can set to protect a folder in D:, it appears OK, but in reality it's unprotected). I made this present in the support forum more than 1 1/2 years ago. I was told they would fix it. About 1 year later, i went back to ask whether the newer versions had fixed it. I got a reply from Scott, more or less "uhm, well, there are chances it was fixed". So i tried it myself again. It was still not fixed and let them know again. Since then, their support forum which was hosted in another forum, was abbandoned.

Bottom line: I paid for a license i never was able to use (because all my data that needs protecting is on D), the program has a security hole as big as a barn for anyone who *thinks* that his drives other than C: are protected, 1 1/2 years later the hole is still there and they shut down their support forums...

One can draw his own conclusions. And this story also begs the question: If a company for 1 1/2 years, doesn't even know for sure if such a hole still exists, which is pretty blatant to spot, what happens with holes more difficult to spot?

P.S.: Maybe it's time for me to remove Scotty from my avatar...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.