- Aug 17, 2014
WinRAR gets Windows 11 Context Menu supportModern context menus in Windows 11 look good with rounded corners. The menu provides access to regularly used options when you right-click on Explorer or desktop, but it places the commands you use with applications installed such as with 7-Zip, Notepad++, and WinRAR in the “show more options”.submenu. This is painful and not an intuitive experience for end-users coming from Windows 10.
For an application, Windows 11 allows adding a single top-level command or submenu to the Explorer context menus.
WinRAR now comes with “cascaded context menus” in Integration Settings enabled by default. This allows WinRAR single item to store all needed commands, check the below screenshot.
If the Cascaded Context Menu option is disabled, only one extraction command for archives and one archiving command for files will be available.
What is new in WinRAR 6.10 beta 1:
- Added support for Windows 11 Context Menus
- WinRAR drops Windows XP support and requires users to run at least Windows Visa.
- WinRAR now can unpack contents on .zst and .zipx archives utilizing the Zstandard algorithm.
- “Close” Item is added to the “When done” list on the advanced page of archiving dialog. It closes archiving dialog when archiving is done.
- The “When done” list is added to the “options” page of the extraction dialog. It allows selecting an action like turning a computer off or closing WinRAR after completing extraction.
You no longer need to access "show more options" on Windows 11 to see WinRAR commands, WinRAR vesion 6.1 has added support for Windows 11 Context menu.