Video Wired vs Wireless Gaming Mouse Latency

Did you use a wireless mouse (on your daily system)?

• Total voters

TairikuOkami

Level 31
Verified
Content Creator
May 13, 2017
And now lets talk about the cable, you have 10.000 DPI mouse and you move with the precision of a surgeon, but the cable distorts that movement and sometimes even gets stuck.
I can not even tell, how many times I died, because of the cable compared to the latency, you can tell only by measuring, but of course a cable is a must for progamers and streamers.

But since we are a security forum, focus on that. For example a hacker could record and input keystrokes by hacking the wireless mouse alone, because it is not encrypted by default.

show-Zi

Level 29
Verified
Jan 28, 2018
I admit that wireless is convenient, but I prefer cable type for cost performance. Wireless, which is available at a low price, was only stressful.🖱️
And now lets talk about the cable, you have 10.000 DPI mouse and you move with the precision of a surgeon, but the cable distorts that movement and sometimes even gets stuck.
I can not even tell, how many times I died, because of the cable compared to the latency, you can tell only by measuring, but of course a cable is a must for progamers and streamers.

But since we are a security forum, focus on that. For example a hacker could record and input keystrokes by hacking the wireless mouse alone, because it is not encrypted by default.

As with wi-fi, connections that don't require cables are more likely to be snooped. I think that the improvement of convenience is accompanied by vulnerabilities.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Benefit to having a wired mouse is the cable saves it from smacking the floor. Gone through about 7 mice over the years due to accidentally throwing them off the desk.

Never noticed a difference between wired vs wireless.

rain2reign

Level 5
Jun 21, 2020
I have always used a wired mouse on my home desktop, and a wireless on my laptop. Never an issue for me. Latency wise, there is barely (to none) a noticeable difference for the majority of the people playing games. But since most mice come with a near 1.5 - 2 meter cable, I never had an issue of it being in the way personally if you just take the time to route it right with enough loose cable near the mouse.

In my opinion, I would look more into the corner of how many devices you got active in the same proximity of the (wireless) mouse that uses 2.4Ghz band (almost all consumer devices go on this frequency!).

More on the same band, is more interference and in return more latency. For some not an issue as they never notice it or never realized it. Having that said, all wireless devices can be remotely hijacked and tapped a lot easier than an wired analog connection. A good example is Pwnagotchi - Deep Reinforcement Learning instrumenting bettercap for WiFi pwning. project, on its own harmless however, with the right implementation can do a whole lot more. The same goes for other methods and vulnerabilities such as the on described in post #4 by TairikuOkami.

Last edited:

Intel_iRIS81

Level 1
Jun 7, 2016
In todays time wired vs wireless (receiver) mouse latency is within 1ms of each other now. Technology is just amazing these days. There just isn't a reason in my eyes to have a wired mouse and keyboard these days. Latency isn't an issue in 2021.

SecurityNightmares

Level 37
Verified
Jan 9, 2020
I never get such cable problems.
Also if you really use 10k, you don't need moving the mouse a lot because of (too) high sensitivity.

Pro gamers play on very weak DPI because of better precision for e.g. shooter.

Opc9

Level 6
Aug 2, 2020
I don't use a mouse, I use a RAT :LOL:
R.A.T 7 wired to be precise.

71TXIRHwb7L._AC_SX569_.jpg

Last edited:

JoyousBudweiser

Level 12
Verified
Aug 22, 2013
I dealt with that with a magnetic bracelet, previously I could not even lift my middle fingers. Sleeping on the ground solved my back pain, since I kneel over the keyboard all the time.
Please start cycling if possible, it will improve your core strength, strengthen your tummy muscles and also help to reduce any posture related stress from your vertibrae.