Advice Request With COMODO, should Window's Firewall be shut off?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

russ0408

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
Hi all. I watched a video by C/S on setting up Comodo Firewall. I'm sure she said to leave Window's 10 firewall on when Comodo was installed. What does everyone else think, right now I have Window's firewall off but don't want to screw anything up. Please let me know your thoughts.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Default settings, both enabled. I leave it like this.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 2,239
Reactions: brambedkar59

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I quote from Comodo Forum here.
From Comodo: CIS disabled Window FW only on WIn 7 and and lower. According to requirement from Microsoft, CIS does not has the right to turn off their components beginning with Windows 8.

So users would need to manually turn off the windows firewall if they should choose to. Note this applies to the Windows Firewall control panel applet, do not disable the windows firewall service.
Another Comodo forum moderator says:
Please read the posts, this is not a bug, but by design, a design dictated by Microsoft.
In short you CAN and should disable Windows firewall. But even if you left it 'ON' along with CFW there is no big issue, or at least I haven't heard of any.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
An interesting comment regarding firewalls made by member of Wilderssecurity named Firecat.

Do you like the direction Emsisoft is going?

MS now recommends firewall developers to not disable the Windows Firewall entirely. Starting Windows Vista and going forward up to Windows 10, the firewall has been made modular. That means you can disable the components of Windows Firewall that clash with your product's functionality and leave the rest functional. Microsoft recommends to keep both firewalls running without conflicts using the Advanced Security APIs as it believes that will be a win-win from security perspective.

You can read more on the links above.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Interesting discussion. :)
MS now recommends firewall developers to not disable the Windows Firewall entirely.
True, as below it there is a quote from a MS article that says:
"Do not disable Windows Firewall by stopping the service. Instead, use one of the preceding procedures (or an equivalent Group Policy setting) to turn the firewall off."
So one can disable Windows firewall (when using another 3rd party app) from control panel but not from Services, as it will break the OS functionality.
Microsoft recommends to keep both firewalls running without conflicts using the Advanced Security APIs as it believes that will be a win-win from security perspective.
This maybe a bit confusing for an average user as he/she would think it's okay to run both Firewall apps simultaneously. While MS is actually saying to disable WF from Control panel (but not from Services) while using another FW app.
If I am wrong someone please correct me.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepWeb

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
WF service is required by Windows updates and store, so I doubt anyone disables it. Besides it will be partially locked in Fall's update.

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
just ran a suspicious file with comodo firewall and windows firewall running at same time and got a warning notification by comodo. so both work without any conflicts

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
An interesting comment regarding firewalls made by member of Wilderssecurity named Firecat.

MS now recommends firewall developers to not disable the Windows Firewall entirely. Starting Windows Vista and going forward up to Windows 10, the firewall has been made modular. That means you can disable the components of Windows Firewall that clash with your product's functionality and leave the rest functional. Microsoft recommends to keep both firewalls running without conflicts using the Advanced Security APIs as it believes that will be a win-win from security perspective.

You can read more on the links above.
It honestly makes me mad that Comodo is not even going to bother addressing this issue that has existed for years now. Simple question, should we keep WF on or turn it off? Still no clear answer from Comodo.

That being said do it like rockstarrocks said. If you have Windows 10 Pro, turn it off in Group Policy but keep Windows Firewall service running because it is being used for a lot of other things.

Cavehomme

Level 1
Verified
Apr 16, 2014
I've been wondering about this dilemma too. I've installed CIS onto a laptop after an absence of a few months and having used NIS on it. Norton completely disabled the Windows Firewall according to the Windows Control Panel, all highlighted in red showing WF is off.

Interesting that MS recommend that it's left on though. Not sure 2 firewalls are a clever idea, but then I have to assume that Comodo devs are much smarter than I am on security stuff, so I'm leaving it on after having read some of the comments above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.