Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I've had a love-hate relationship with LastPass. It's given me many benefits. When my computer has been on the blink, LastPass has been invaluable in enabling me to use the Internet via library computers and Hiren's Boot CD (Firefox on Parted Magic). It enables me to create and store very secure passwords. The Secure Notes feature is terrific.

However I have encountered a lot of glitches. I've had 13 support tickets with them, and probably many more instances than that where I didn't respond to a glitch with a support ticket. This time I simply changed my LastPass email address to the new one I have with the company that bought out my old cable provider. I followed instructions I found on the website (official info, not forum post). And that has been enough to throw me into a crisis. Every time I log in, I'm logged back out after a couple of seconds, and I get an error message. I need LastPass back to be able to use a lot of websites.

LastPass users, when I get logged out, I get the messages "Consistency check failed. Please logoff and try again" and "An error has been encountered while loading your sites. Please relogin."

They have told me "Clear your browser cache." That doesn't do a thing to resolve it.

This is disgusting. Merely changing one's email should not cause a crisis.

What about the alternatives? Sticky Password? KeePass? Dashlane? There are many. I've tried Roboform and didn't like it. I'm open to paid as well as free. Does an Internet Security suite have the best password manager?

I like this aspect of LastPass: one can use it even with less popular browsers like Comodo Dragon, Comodo Ice Dragon, SlimJet, Epic, Alienforce, BitComet, not to speak of Maxthon. A substitute would have to be widely usable. A substitute also must be strong in the support dimension.

Computer: Dell System B3 Desktop
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2657 MHz (20.00x132.9)
Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller [DELL]
Intel i845G(L) Integrated, 64 MB
Drive: ST380011A, 78.1 GB, E-IDE (ATA-6)
Drive: HGST HTS545050A7E380, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S, CD-R Writer
Sound: Creative Technology SB Live! Series Audio Processor
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC [A/B/C]
Network: Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller
Antivirus: Advanced SystemCare Ultimate 8
Firewall: Windows Firewall
Default Browser:Maxthon

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I've changed my e-mail address with LastPass and had no issues. You did re-encrypt when it prompted, I assume; that's all I had to do.

I would
  • Log out of LastPass
  • Uninstall LastPass and extensions, reboot
  • Do a through CCleaner w/CCEnhancer
  • Install LastPass extension only and see how that works before installing the binary (if you use the binary)

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thank you, Rolo.

I've changed my e-mail address with LastPass and had no issues. You did re-encrypt when it prompted, I assume; that's all I had to do.

Yes, I watched with interest as the re-encryption took place. I wonder why I'm told my vault is all screwed up.

I would
  • Log out of LastPass
No problem. LastPass takes care of that 2 seconds after I log in.

I would...
  • Uninstall LastPass and extensions, reboot
Do you mean my LastPass extensions (disable or trash can?) only, or all my extensions? I've got too many to remove them all on Firefox. Will I lose my LastPass data (sites, passwords and usernames, autofill info, secure notes) if I do that uninstall?

I would
  • Do a through CCleaner w/CCEnhancer
I've got CCEnhancer. How thorough? Registry cleaning included? So far I have found it prudent to leave many items on CCleaner unchecked, because I am not certain what running them would do. (Others I am certain I want unmolested.) I would love it if somewhere there is a guide to explain what will happen with the individual CCleaner options when they are run. With the applications listed, what is being targeted for removal?

What kinds of things do you think are the possible villains of this situation that we could remove with CCleaner?

jn2002dk

Level 1
Jul 24, 2015
Never had any issues with Lastpass but before i switched i used Keepass which was very good. It is open source which is always a plus and i understand there is an extension that enables auto fill in Chrome, Firefox and IE now

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
  1. Fill up a text file with all passwords.
  2. Compress it with 7-Zip using .7z option & choose the encryption option to AES-256.
  3. Profit
  4. If you want more security, put that compressed file into a new folder, then compress & encrypt that folder again with 7-Zip using .7z option & choose the encryption option to AES-256.
  5. More profit.
  6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 as many times as you want.

jXAirAK.png

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Do you mean my LastPass extensions (disable or trash can?) only, or all my extensions?
Trash just the LastPass extension. While you're at it, though, you may want to disable all but LastPass in case one is interfering with LastPass as a troubleshooting measure. I also wonder if just re-encrypting will clear the problem.

Don't clean the registry; that's not needed. Just look for any browser- and LastPass-related stuff. Something locally (your machine) is causing the problem (bad cached data or a conflict).

All your LastPass info is stored on their servers so you won't lose anything. In the rare instance I need something from it on my Android, I just browse to my LastPass site to get what I need rather than buy premium.

LastPass is a top-notch product and your issue seems to be a rare thing that happens with pretty much any computer product, so I wouldn't forfeit LastPass' benefits by jumping ship. (I don't know of any free cloud-based password manager that automatically logs me into 99% of my web sites.)

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
I've had a love-hate relationship with LastPass. It's given me many benefits. When my computer has been on the blink, LastPass has been invaluable in enabling me to use the Internet via library computers and Hiren's Boot CD (Firefox on Parted Magic). It enables me to create and store very secure passwords. The Secure Notes feature is terrific.

However I have encountered a lot of glitches. I've had 13 support tickets with them, and probably many more instances than that where I didn't respond to a glitch with a support ticket. This time I simply changed my LastPass email address to the new one I have with the company that bought out my old cable provider. I followed instructions I found on the website (official info, not forum post). And that has been enough to throw me into a crisis. Every time I log in, I'm logged back out after a couple of seconds, and I get an error message. I need LastPass back to be able to use a lot of websites.

LastPass users, when I get logged out, I get the messages "Consistency check failed. Please logoff and try again" and "An error has been encountered while loading your sites. Please relogin."

They have told me "Clear your browser cache." That doesn't do a thing to resolve it.

This is disgusting. Merely changing one's email should not cause a crisis.

What about the alternatives? Sticky Password? KeePass? Dashlane? There are many. I've tried Roboform and didn't like it. I'm open to paid as well as free. Does an Internet Security suite have the best password manager?

I like this aspect of LastPass: one can use it even with less popular browsers like Comodo Dragon, Comodo Ice Dragon, SlimJet, Epic, Alienforce, BitComet, not to speak of Maxthon. A substitute would have to be widely usable. A substitute also must be strong in the support dimension.

Computer: Dell System B3 Desktop
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2657 MHz (20.00x132.9)
Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller [DELL]
Intel i845G(L) Integrated, 64 MB
Drive: ST380011A, 78.1 GB, E-IDE (ATA-6)
Drive: HGST HTS545050A7E380, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S, CD-R Writer
Sound: Creative Technology SB Live! Series Audio Processor
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC [A/B/C]
Network: Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller
Antivirus: Advanced SystemCare Ultimate 8
Firewall: Windows Firewall
Default Browser:Maxthon
You should backup your passwords in lastpass offline with Keepass...LastPass has an export option to export passwords to other password managers,if LastPass messes up then you can access your passwords in an offline password manager like Keepass.....

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
lastpass costs least.
successfully secures all the data from being stolen.
just don't lose master password
if you use strong master password then you don't need to worry about anything.

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have used LastPass for years and have never had issues.Even when they had their security breech they were on top of it.
I have tried others but have always stuck with LastPass.Premium account cost is very reasonable.

I've only tried Lastpass and Dashlane and I've stuck with Lastpass. Never had any problems with Lastpass and $12 is an absolute steal. Dashlane is way too expensive and didn't work well on my Android Phone.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
The many positive Lastpass posts here have taught me a thing or three more which I hadn't known before.:):)
@conceptualclarity, there is little more I can add that hasn't already been encouragingly stated, whether or not you decide to continue waving the red asterisk banner, I now offer my 2 cents: It works, and even following the short-lived occasions when it has performed somewhat less than perfectly, it continues to be a service I have grown to trust in (both extension & binary app flavors) which is why it has become my family's favorite and most thoroughly used add-on!:p
+My wife's quote:
"Today is the first day I'd understood why the name for our password manager was chosen as "LastPass!!":D

D

Deleted member 2913

I am using Chrome extension LastPass without binary. There is LastPass with binary too. Whats the difference? Am I missing something important regards to functions or security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.