Advanced Plus Security Woomera's Security Config 2019

Last updated
Apr 9, 2019
Windows Edition
Pro
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)
Real-time security
Kaspersky Internet security
MalwareBytes
AdGuard
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
TDSSKiller
RogueKiller
Ultra Virus Killer
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
HijackThis
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome
TrafficLight
Kaspersky
OPSWAT
Silent Site Sound blocker
User-Agent Switcher
Open SEO Stats
Maintenance tools
CCleaner Portable
Revo Uninstaller
Tweaking.com Windows repair
DNS Jumper
Wireshark
Nmap
Sysinternals Autorun
Sysinternals Process Explorer (with VT stats)
WinAuth
File and Photo backup
Google Drive
System recovery
Windows Default backup
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Intel Core i5-4670
AMD Radeon R9 270X
Corsair 16GB DDR3 PC3-12800
Intel SSD 128GB (Windows and Programs)
WD 500GB internal (Media and Gaming files)
Asus N66U (VPN configured for specified devices and bandwidth management)

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
I was running with Windows Defender for about 2 years with no issues but about a week ago decided to buy discounted licenses from eBay and switched to KIS and MBAM (even though MBAM once decided to remove my license during their new ownership migration a few years back. they basically stole from me but I was impressed with their detection rate so I decided to give them another chance)

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@woomera:
  • MWB 3 Premium with real-time enable is not necessary, and I would keep it for on demands scans.
  • As for "Disk Imaging Backup", You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably.
  • A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.
Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, hanks for sharing :giggle:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
My advice:
  • Follow advice in previous posts regard MBAM Premium
  • Remove "Sysinternals Autorun, Sysinternals Process Explorer (with VT stats), WinAuth" from Virus & Malware Tools and place them in the "System Utilities" section
  • Remove Bitdefender TrafficLight & OPSWAT as Kaspersky is more than enough for the job and these two extensions or very much overkill
  • Follow @harlan4096 advice regarding backup
  • You could remove "TDSSKiller, Hijackthis, Ultra Virus Killer" replacing them with ZAM Free 3.0
Hope the advice help you slim down your setup as some section I would regard as overkill, thanks for sharing!

~LDogg

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
thank you guys for your recommendations,
-I will try out both AOMEI and Macrium and see which one fits into my liking more.
-MBAM uses too much CPU so I will follow your advice to disable its real-time protection.
-KIS extension is buggy in my pc and gives upgrade errors so I removed it and kept trafficlight.
-I do not like ZAM since it looks like a rip-off of HitmanPro
-I don't use my on-demand scanners on my own pc, Just keep them for scanning other pc/laptops from USB.

Thanks guys.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.