Advice Request World Backup Day - 31st March 2020

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Stopspying

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
"Today is, wait for it, drum roll, please…

World Backup Day.

You knew that already, didn’t you?

So you’re way ahead of us here, with your backups neatly done and safely stored away.

Or perhaps not, because sorting out your backups is a bit like taking the garbage out or washing the dog – you know it needs doing, and you might as well do it now, but it can probably wait until tomorrow.

Depending on what happens today, of course.

Well, the bad news is, now that so many of us are working from home, we can’t rely on IT to do it all for us, or to show up at our desks with a smile and a USB drive filled with all those precious files that we just deleted by mistake.

But the good news is, now that so many of us are working from home, that backup isn’t that hard to do right – the hardest part is just getting round to doing it properly, or even at all."

For the record I use Macrium Reflect to make a full back up once a month and daily incrementals on all of our computers at home, using external drives. I sync files between devices and external drives using FreeFileSync, this setup works for me.

How are you backing up on this World Backup Day?

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Lol might be a bit OTT?

Attachments

• Backup.jpg
    Backup.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 154

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
iam using AOMEI backupper professional
created Full image in the begging of 2020 with Windows 10 build 1909 tweaked to remove telemetry by O&O shutup 10 & O&O APP BUSTER also adjusted AOMEI to incremental backup every end of the month and copy the backups to External hard drive
What do you feel the advantages of the pro version are please?

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
some feature exist in Pro such as
Automatic backup schedule/universal store/Merge multiple images in one image
refer to the following link for full list of the differences:

some feature exist in Pro such as
Automatic backup schedule/universal store/Merge multiple images in one image
refer to the following link for full list of the differences:
Edit: they offer licence for lifetime with free upgrade.wait until black Friday and buy one at good discount

@Cortex

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I only save files with Personal Backup as backup windows itself doesn't make sense. It change to fast nowadays and also if I need to restore the whole system - which never happened yet, I just install it fresh.

Windows InPlace upgrades solves most of problems.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It works really well. A while ago, when I transferred my SSD to a new computer, it led to to blue screens. Using AMOI's Universal Restore feature was the only way I was able to get it to boot. Using similar features in other backup software such as Macrium Reflect, resulted in blue screens.

This was an unusual case, as more often than not, with recent versions of Windows, you can put a drive into a new computer and it will boot with no issues.

Kermit80

Level 1
Mar 29, 2020
These days almost everything is on cloud. So it's easier then before. My only valuable content are photos and I do rsync to an external drive whenever I update my folders. That's on Linux. On Windows I just do not keep data on the pc.
I know, rsync is not a backup solution but it's the easiest procedure for me. Maybe the only one I can handle :)
Risk assessment comes always first.

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Windows' built-in backups aren't very reputable, but they've been successfully restored in my environment with no problems. I use Macrium together just to be sure, but this is mainly for the backup of data. This is convenient because it can be mounted as an image disk.

Stopspying

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I've just seen a giveaway offer for a AOMEI Backerupper Pro and am waiting for approval for the post I submitted to MT in the Giveaway section. Now is your chance to try it out.

Update - Ending Soon - AOMEI Backupper Pro

iam using AOMEI backupper professional
created Full image in the begging of 2020 with Windows 10 build 1909 tweaked to remove telemetry by O&O shutup 10 & O&O APP BUSTER also adjusted AOMEI to incremental backup every end of the month and copy the backups to External hard drive
I've used AOMEI Backerupper Pro before and liked it too. The main reason I switched to using Macrium Reflect on all of the devices at home was that I only had a license for Backerupper on one device and I wanted to simplify backing up by using the same software on all of the devices.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.