Worth downloading Windows 10 updates, if I don't use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnyjohn

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 18, 2015
Hi as im just a silver surfer dont play games dont do office work on my pc all i do is surf forums and facebook and twitter yes i no in sad but is it worth downloading all the windows 10 updates as i will never use them thanks by the way this is the best computer forum keep the good work up .

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Mod Edit: Changed title information.

It's critical that you keep Windows updated. Or don't use Windows at all.

Windows Updates is a delivery system to provide your OS (Windows 10) with Security and Feature updates. Microsoft release patches to fix bugs, exploits and other issues. Feature updates are released to add extra functionality that some may love or hate, but they also are recommended to make sure your OS is supported for longer.

Windows 10 RTM and Anniversary Update will no longer receive Security updates, therefore users are at risk.

If your OS is vulnerable to an Exploit because "You Didn't Want To Update", then the risks are on You. Don't blame your ISP, Microsoft or your friends' social media link. You are the weak link. The problem is yourself not wanting to update.

Another example, 310,000 lives ruined by 53 useless Facebook friends - Don't be that useless person.

Do you own a vehicle; do you take it for services, replace flat tires?

SecretKeeper

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 25, 2015
Updates on their own are usually patches or security updates - whether it's an app or operating system.

In the case of an operating system, new exploits are found all the time and even if you only use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube or other known websites, you're still objected for the vulnerabilities to be exploited without your knowledge.

They always say never skip out on updates and they're not wrong, so keep your system and apps up-to-date!

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
is it worth downloading all the windows 10 updates as i will never use them
It is about risk assessment. Do you have anything to loose, if you get infected? In the answer is no, then no, you do not need them. Like, if your FB account gets stolen, you will just create a new one, if your files get encrypted, you will just reinstall. It might be bothersome, but that is about that. It not like the malware will eat you alive. ;)

Not to mention, it is about custom Windows settings as well. Most updates just fix problems in services, files, etc, so if you have services disabled, files blocked in a firewall or monitored by sandbox/hips, then they can not be easily exploited, even when not updated. Just look at workarounds in those security updates, they are actually better, because you are protected against future vulnerabilities, sometimes not fixed for years. As a matter of fact, I have not updated 1709 for several months and I was not concerned at all. I do not fix, what is not broken. :sneaky:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
To add to my previous post. Windows 10 Pro users can defer Feature updates, this include the upcoming Spring Creators Update.
  • Feature updates = new stuff (max 365 days)
  • Quality updates = security fixes (max 30 days)
1523536764346.png

D

Deleted member 178

It is about risk assessment. Do you have anything to loose, if you get infected? In the answer is no, then no, you do not need them. Like, if your FB account gets stolen, you will just create a new one, if your files get encrypted, you will just reinstall. It might be bothersome, but that is about that. It not like the malware will eat you alive. ;)
but
- May the other users of the machine in the same case?
- May his machine be the patient zero infecting the whole network?
- May he send infected mails to others without knowing it?
- etc...etc...
All that because he was just LAZY to update?

It is because some people are careless and lazy that they spread infections, it is the same with real diseases...
some are lazy to wash their hands after dropping one in the toilet, then go pick some peanuts with their dirty hands in the public pot...i bet you won't want some peanuts right?

Reactions: brambedkar59

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
- May the other users of the machine in the same case?
The OP asked, not the others. Still, the same reply applies to them. I do not like lying to people, like AV companies do: When you go on the internet without a firewall or AV, you will be infected within seconds causing world war 3.

- May his machine be the patient zero infecting the whole network?
- May he send infected mails to others without knowing it?
Nothing has changed, if other users have a weak protection, they can be infected by anything/anyone anyway.

It is because some people are careless and lazy that they spread infections, it is the same with real diseases...
some are lazy to wash their hands after dropping one in the toilet, then go pick some peanuts with their dirty hands in the public pot...i bet you won't want some peanuts right?
Food allergy linked to skin exposure and genetics, study finds: Triggered by perfect storm of genetics and skin exposure to infant wipes, dust and food

Just one example, that people get sick all the time, because of too much cleanliness. The same goes for malware, infections help people to learn to avoid feature infections, more serious ones. They ask then, how they got infected and try to deal with it. I do not like cleaning forums, which clean user's PC, instead of teaching them, how to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberTech

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
It's really important you have to do all updates because there are attack and harm your PC/laptop when you visit internet, do you have AntiVirus progam?

Reactions: frogboy

johnyjohn

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 18, 2015
It's really important you have to do all updates because there are attack and harm your PC/laptop when you visit internet, do you have AntiVirus progam?
yes eset internet security paid. zemana premium paid . hitmanpro alert. all so i have ( gdata internet security security and
Trend Micro maximum security 2018) not downloaded .

Reactions: frogboy
D

Deleted member 178

Nothing has changed, if other users have a weak protection, they can be infected by anything/anyone anyway.
weak protection start with unpatched OS; some idiots still get infected by EB/DP/Wannacry because they don't even patch their Win7.

Just one example, that people get sick all the time, because of too much cleanliness.
The same goes for malware, infections help people to learn to avoid feature infections, more serious ones.
a computer system isn't the human body; the human body patches itself from lesser infections and you can't "disable" it. a computer system depends of its user, a stupid one will disable updates (for whatever nonsense reasons), let exposed vulnerabilities unpatched, get infected and spread it to others. Wannacry was one of the best example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.