[WOT Rating] Is leawo.com is danger to visit? what's your opinion?

zeff

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 18, 2011
I visited for currently running giveaway "Free Video Converter From Leawo"

hxxp://www.leawo.com/cooperation/buzz99.html

WOT warn me to get out of here because of poor rating. I think it is well established brand in software.

28s7sic.png

What's your Opinion?

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
The link you provided is clean according to Virus Total

And also the main site leawo.com is clean according to Virus Total

I also downloaded and installed their total media converter didnt see any bundled stuff installed on my system other than their youtube downloaded which doesnt give a option to not install it and no notifications from avira free during install

zeff

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 18, 2011
Thanks for your Feedback both of you "ZeroDay" and "imsoadude". I don't know whats wrong with WOT rating.
According to your links , It's very much clean and safe to visit.

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
If you still dont feel comfortable with them, you can always look for free alternatives

Techradar They list a bunch of free converters here with pros and cons (article from 2012)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The main reason that this site has a bad reputation is they are spammers.

If you register your email address with them they will share it with ad-sponsors and fill you email with spam.

So if you register with them use a disposable email address.

Another problem is they use online web installers which will not be detected by AV scanners until they download the files from the web. A simple scan of the executable files will always come up as clean.

If you install any of their products it is recommend to install in Sandboxie first to see what the online downloads, users on WOT have reported malware downloaded from the online web installer.

There are far better freeware products to use which are safe and much better, I don't know why anyone would choose their paid products over freewares like Freemake Video Converter, DVDVideosoft Free Studio and aTube Catcher Free Media Suite.

Thanks. :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Web of Trust relies on user feedback of their users' experience. Do you remember the IObit / Malwarebytes incident? IObit.com used to be green-rated by the community, after the theft accusations, the site was down-rated to an Amber-warning. Not because their products were malicious, but because of the feedback given from the community about their company ethics, in turn it has greatly affected their reputation -even to this day.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I downloaded and installed Leawo Video Converter in Sandoxie from the link on their homepage. (http://file2.fomore.com/download/leawo_com/videoconverter_setup.exe) and used a disposable email address to register.

The installer did not include any additional adware, it did suggest to install K-Lite Codec Pack to help with converting, so I installed it as well.

I got the registration code and it registered without a problem.

I checked all files in Sanboxie and there was nothing at all malicious.

Maybe in the past they included malware in their installers but this installer was 100% clean.

I did not test the product to see how it performs but I didn't read several reviews on Cnet and other download sites and most were not so good.

Some reviews say after the users bought their products the registration codes that they received would not register it. Other reviews said their products claimed to be free on download sites but only gave them a free trial. A few more said that the company had poor support or their support was non-existent and they refused to issue refunds or send them a registration codes that would work.

So I believe the main reason for the bad reputation on WOT is because of the companies ethics. They are known to go into forums and spam, I would want them to have my real email address because if they will spam forums, then they might also give my email out to other spammers or just spam my email with their adverts. I most certainly wouldn't buy products from them.

Enjoy!! :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.