Battle WSA AntiVirus 2014 (giveaway this forum) vs Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
Which is better:
- Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus 2014 (giveaway this forum) or Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition.
Which is your opinion?

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus 2014 - easy uninstallation,better support(personal)

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition - hard uninstallation,support not good(as see some people talk here)

webroot i tried, it is good but can't say about BD as never tried.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Although you can create an account, I don't think it's required for Webroot SecureAnywhere, can anyone confirm?

Whereas with Bitdefender, you must have an account registered with them to use BD Free.

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus 2014 can be configured as opposed to bitdefender free
bitdefender free - fully automatic protection

cdnsempre

Level 1
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Webroot SecureAnywhere is very very light and control all system. The pc works and running well, it´s not heavy and have a good detection.
Bitdefender in beginning you have install the program and then scan all your computer (scan complete). After you waiting is BD integreted well in your system.
For me, sorry, but i prefer MSE 4.216. This version is amazing!

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
OK, but ....
- WSA not possible to exclude certain files
- not have database in the PC, ..., it is only cloud
- does not appear in the Security Center
- many FP
- detection is just on acces (like Malwarebytes Pro)
- is more for prevention
- many incompatibilities (ex. Shadow Defender - WSA kills defender.exe
- etc

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013

We constantly bitdefender problem)
px71uviqwu.gif

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
" not have database in the PC, ..., it is only cloud"
Before install it scan your pc and keep the record in a folder i think(in my pc it reaches 1 gb when i was using this)

"does not appear in the Security Center"
they are thinking about it ,i read about that.

"detection is just on acces"
diffrent approach like other antivirus have their methode

"is more for prevention"
Because prevention is better than cure

"many incompatibilities (ex. Shadow Defender - WSA kills defender.exe"
may be for some people but i never feel it

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
OK, but ....
- WSA not possible to exclude certain files
- not have database in the PC, ..., it is only cloud
- does not appear in the Security Center
- many FP
- detection is just on acces (like Malwarebytes Pro)
- is more for prevention
- many incompatibilities (ex. Shadow Defender - WSA kills defender.exe
- etc

- WSA not possible to exclude certain files True in a way, Its possible to control its processes, Otherwise excluding just leaves a security hole.
- not have database in the PC, ..., Well I dont mind this, For people that wish to use WSA but don't like the fact its cloud-only, Add a signature-based AV like MSE.
- does not appear in the Security Center Not sure where you heard this from, It appears in mine.
- many FP Never had a FP problem, didn't hear much complaints either.
- detection is just on acces (like Malwarebytes Pro) Like Malwarevirus said, It uses a different method of protection than most.
- is more for prevention Imo, Prevention over Detection. I'd rather have an infection prevented than having it on my system only to be detected later.
- many incompatibilities (ex. Shadow Defender - WSA kills defender.exe) Never had a problem, I'll have to research this.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Never used WSA so can offer no comment about its efficacy. I trialed BD free for little while but was put off by several issues. (1) it would inexplicable shut itself down. I noticed this, more times than not, occurred after a Windows update. But on one occasion no such update took place. (2) It impeded system restore. (3) when I tried to get info or questions answered their forum was next to useless. Customer support is terrible! (4) When I finally decided to uninstall it, BD also blocked booting to safe mode until it was removed in the normal Windows session.

1saac

Jan 10, 2014
Every year in January Privacy PC publishes it’s impressions, observations and perspectives with regard to the state of security software industry.

We have singled out leaders in the following categories: antivirus, internet security, antispyware, encryption software, online privacy utilities and three more groups.

The software rating has been formed in accordance with the following benchmarks: usability (ease of setup and product usage intuitiveness) features, efficiency, help & support, and pros/cons. Our rating includes both Webroot and Bitdefender products.

You can find it here: http://privacy-pc.com/news/best-security-software-2014.html

best-security-software-2014-banner.jpg

D

Deleted member 178

OK, but ....
- WSA not possible to exclude certain files (of course you don't need)
- not have database in the PC, ..., it is only cloud (False it has offline database)
- does not appear in the Security Center (yes it appears)
- many FP (never met one in 2 years))
- detection is just on acces (like Malwarebytes Pro) (depend the malware, so?)
- is more for prevention (luckily for us)
- many incompatibilities (ex. Shadow Defender - WSA kills defender.exe (False)
- etc

people doesn't know what they talk about...

this post deserve a dislike :D

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
OK!
”people doesn't know what they talk about” - really?
”this post deserve a dislike - why?
Otherwise:
- I go through the tough time of my life
- serious medical problems in the my family (unwilling popularize this)
- my soul is in search of peace
So I apologize for not actively paarticip discussions.
If you consider, exclude me from the forum.

Respectfully,
Ocsi

P.S. I apologize for my English language.

D

Deleted member 178

it is not the person or your language i criticize , but your erroneous conclusions about WSA and the way you describe them, i beta test WSA even before its first official release , and i can say that what you described were mostly wrong or if it really happened to you, it may means you don't know/understand how to use it properly (especially the shadow defender issue , i used both together in every versions on 3 OS) or your system really don't fit with WSA. After all every system is different, but when i bash a software , at least i give more explanations, things you didn't.

i don't know how long you tried WSA but i hope it is not for less than a week.
I would be less rude to your post if you concluded by "those things happened to me, did you had them?" .

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
it is not the person or your language i criticize , but your erroneous conclusions about WSA and the way you describe them, i beta test WSA even before its first official release , and i can say that what you described were mostly wrong or if it really happened to you, it may means you don't know/understand how to use it properly (especially the shadow defender issue , i used both together in every versions on 3 OS) or your system really don't fit with WSA. After all every system is different, but when i bash a software , at least i give more explanations, things you didn't.

i don't know how long you tried WSA but i hope it is not for less than a week.
I would be less rude to your post if you concluded by "those things happened to me, did you had them?" .

Unfortunately my English is very bad.
Just try to explain myself. I have not got a thorough testing of the software (after the appearance of my family medical problems). Excuse me for my incoherent. That's that. I was wrong!
I apologize, Now I'm not coherent! After family health problems I have not had time to deepen.
I repeat what I said earlier that:
”- I go through the tough time of my life
- serious medical problems in the my family (unwilling popularize this)
- my soul is in search of peace”
And:
”If you consider, exclude me from the forum.”
I still have not finished my family's medical problems

All the best!
Respectfully,
Ocsi

Last edited:

PVA_BR

Level 4
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
I've installed Bitdefender free on my teatcher's notebook and, this week, i've unnistalled it and installed WSA instead, for tests. Result: I'm using Webroot Secure Anywhere (WSA) for 3 days in my own notebook too. WSA seems waaaaaaay better than Bitdefender. At least, for my own needs ;)

Dubseven

Level 14
Verified
Aug 12, 2013
The firewall of Bitdefender is very very great against stealers, keyloggers and trojans.
I have tryed so many malwares (mail send, data send) made home to try against and the firewall has stopped all of them without problem.

But the high ram usage and bugs are the biggest problem of bitdefender.. also, the firewall block to many legitime programs (like MMORPGs and others programs running online)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.