XBOX ONE backward compatibility update enables X360 and XBLA games

FireShootSK

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
Yesterday during Microsoft's E3 press conference, Xbox head Phil Spencer confirmed Xbox One will support backward compatibility with over 100 select Xbox 360 games by this holiday season.

Digitally purchased games will start showing up automatically in your game library. Retail Xbox 360 disks won't work natively with the Xbox One, but will initiate a download of an Xbox One-compatible version when inserted. During the announcement, the Xbox 360 version of the original Mass Effect was shown running on the Xbox One.

Full article by IGN

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I've run Mass Effect for myself on my Xbox One. Works flawlessly with very noticeable decreased load times. One they add Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim to that list, I'm playing the hell out of it. Since I've played Xbox One since October of 2014, my Xbox 360 controller feels very stiff (especially with the analog sticks) when compared to Xbox One controller. With the data on your hard drive, and not just streaming the game (which would have been very stupid for many reasons), the emulation of the game will be seamless.

All Xbox One features work while playing these games also, and you can play multiplayer with Xbox 360 players as you actually also login to Xbox 360 while the game is emulated. It's a dramatic improvement over playing an original Xbox game on the Xbox 360. This actually now allows people to sell their Xbox 360 without regret since ALL games from Xbox 360 can be played on Xbox One as long as the author of the game says yes. It takes no effort on their part to make it work as Xbox will do all the work. It can actually help so if they say "no", then they would be making the dumbest mistake possible as people will play their games more often, and also, could possibly sell more copies of their game.

You can install/download the games right now as a preview member of Xbox which are located in your apps and games area when you go all the way to the right. Xbox 360 will be written up the side of the cover. When you put in a disc, you will just hit "Install" on the home screen like you would with a Xbox One game.

This is just a summary of what you need to know.

Reactions: FireShootSK

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.