Xbox Series X announced $499, Series S at $299 (Mega Update Thread)

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Is your launch day Xbox One seemingly a little grey around the temples these days, and you don't see the point in upgrading to an Xbox One S or the more powerful Xbox One X? Well, we know that Microsoft is currently developing its next generation Xbox console, and a new report suggests that the device may be a little over two years away.
This information comes from Thurrott, which indicates that the next Xbox is being developed under the codename Scarlett. However, the big news is that there won't just be a single device launched, as was the case with the Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Instead, Scarlett encompasses an entire family of devices.

The devices will reportedly launch in 2020, but given Microsoft's previous launch windows, we should expect the device no later than around October 2020.

What is unknown, however, is what will differentiate these rumored multiple Xbox devices. One possible scenario is that we could see a “standard” next-gen entry in the same vein as the Xbox One S along with a chest-thumping 4K beast like the current Xbox One X. One other possibility is that Microsoft could produce an even lower-cost basic streaming box that is compatible with Xbox wireless controllers and only supports streaming content. This is just a hypothesis on our part, but it could be possible given Microsoft's intention to bring game streaming to all types of devices.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Next PlayStation is expected around the same time.

@LASER_oneXM
For existing owners of PS4 / Slim and Xbox One / One S, without a 4K/HDR display. Is it worth upgrading to the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, or not?

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
....unfortunately i dont really have an idea about gaming consoles. PC hardware for 4k games is stil very expensive... ...i couldnt really find a clear recomendation for 4k hardware on the web in the past... ... costs are still very/too high.

Reactions: Jack and CyberTech

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
A new set of rumors have leaked regarding the next-generation Xbox and PS5 and the GPUs both consoles will bring to market. We’ve known the broad specs of both platforms for a bit — both use AMD GPUs and CPUs, with the GPU based on AMD’s most recent RDNA architecture, while the CPU is derived from the same 7nm Ryzen CPU cores that launched earlier this summer. What we’ve lacked is specific details on the GPU cores themselves.
Eurogamer has gotten their hands on some leak data they feel is fairly legit, and the website’s track record with this kind of information is solid. There have been some rumored APU configurations that leaked earlier this year, but this new data implies the Sony PS5 will feature 36 GPU clusters clocked at up to 2GHz. Supposedly the silicon, codenamed Oberon, is designed to operate in three different modes (Gen 0, 1, and 2) with clocks of 800MHz, 911MHz, and 2GHz respectively. Supposedly memory bandwidth is 448GB/s in Gen 2 mode (though 512GB/s is an alternate possibility) and the GPU can reportedly also be variably configured in terms of ROP and core counts. Eurogamer states:

While a 2.0GHz GPU clock is used for what is described as the fully unlocked ‘native’ or ‘Gen2’ mode, the processor is also tested in what is referred to as Gen1 and Gen0 modes. The former is explicitly stated as running with 36 compute units, a 911MHz core clock, 218GB/s of memory bandwidth and 64 ROPs – the exact specifications of PlayStation 4 Pro. The latter Gen0 mode cuts the CU and ROP counts in half and runs at 800MHz, a match for the base PS4. The indications are that back-compat is an integral part of the silicon, which in turn raises some interesting questions about the makeup of the Navi GPU and the extent to which older GCN compatibility may be baked into the design.
The implication here is that the PS5 SoC contains multiple GPU clusters, just like the PS4 Pro did. Using multiple GPU clusters in the same SoC would give Sony the same ability to turn the clusters on or off depending on which mode the GPU was running in. Alternately, the GPU cluster could be physically unified but designed to allow for this kind of fine-grained power gating. Stamping out identical clusters would be simpler, designing a unified cluster with fine-grained gating is probably more complex but saves on die space.
As for the Xbox Series X, Eurogamer is implying this console packs serious firepower. Here’s the rumored configuration:

XboxSeriesX.jpg

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Everything you need to know about Xbox Series X game storage - Windows Central

The Xbox Series X has an all-new storage system for your games that goes far beyond being mere storage. Here are the details you need to know.

"Built in partnership with Seagate, this 1 TB custom storage solution expands storage capacity of Xbox Series X with the full speed and performance of the Xbox Velocity Architecture Previous generation Xbox titles can still be played directly from external USB 3.2 hard drives. However, to receive all the benefits of the Xbox Velocity Architecture and optimal performance, Xbox Series X, optimized games should be played from the internal SSD or Xbox Series X Storage Expansion Card."

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Today at Hot Chips 2020, Microsoft will detail more of the internals of the Xbox Series X system architecture. Much of the information in the pre-published presentation covers details we already knew, but with the new slides in hand, there are some additional juicy morsels inside, including a diagram of the processor die. We have the full slide deck at the end of this article, but let's quickly hit a few of the highlights.
Continue reading at: Microsoft Xbox Series X's AMD Architecture Deep Dive at Hot Chips 2020

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
....unfortunately i dont really have an idea about gaming consoles. PC hardware for 4k games is stil very expensive... ...i couldnt really find a clear recomendation for 4k hardware on the web in the past... ... costs are still very/too high.
I play a mix of medium high settings for Shadows posr processing etc and ultra for textures on 4k with my RX 580 8gb since it's release but some games require resolution scaling set to 70% unfortunately .

Reactions: blackice
L

Local Host

I play a mix of medium high settings for Shadows posr processing etc and ultra for textures on 4k with my RX 580 8gb since it's release but some games require resolution scaling set to 70% unfortunately .
The RX 580 is a 1080p card, so I'm not surprised you can't play on max settings at 4K.

It will however run most games on max settings at 1080p.

• +Reputation
Reactions: Vitali Ortzi

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
The RX 580 is a 1080p card, so I'm not surprised you can't play on max settings at 4K.

It will however run most games on max settings at 1080p.
Of course for 60 fps you won't get high lol
But still the resolution difference usually gives higher quality visuals overall in high then lower res ultra as the overall higher res image is more noticeable then the change to ultra wich is sometimes just higher res shadows or higher res screen space reflection wich aren't too much noticable in a fast movement of the character or more static like aiming down sights .
in my book ultra for pictures/ show high for actual gaming.

Reactions: Local Host
L

Local Host

The pricing of the new Xbox is exactly what I expected, Sony will be having a hard time.

I expected Microsoft to wait for Sony reveal, since they want to undercut Sony.

Sony will either take the losses and lower their price point, or push a higher price (despite having a less powerfull console).

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Microsoft can easily take a loss on the Series S. For a digital only console, they can push the Xbox Game Pass, Live Gold, and Proprietary External Storage.

Even Xbox Game Pass for PC got a price hike, now costs double.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Renting a console along with games along with streaming games from anywhere you want for just $20-25 a month is an absolute killer feature. Plus it's backwards compatible to the first Xbox. Sony does not have the infrastructure to support such things and their console will cost more because they spent a ridiculous amount on their custom SSD storage which is ridiculously fast but let's be real, this is going to cost Sony so much to recover from. Sony still has the better first party titles by far. But I mean. If I can play Xbox through my browser on my Chromebook, it's over for Sony... and maybe Geforce Now. But at least Geforce Now supports Steam.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Microsoft can easily take a loss on the Series S. For a digital only console, they can push the Xbox Game Pass, Live Gold, and Proprietary External Storage.

Even Xbox Game Pass for PC got a price hike, now costs double.
To be fair it was technically ending the discount on pc game pass. On their site it always said it was promotional pricing and was going to go up when it left beta, at least as far back as I remember checking.

Reactions: Protomartyr

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Swedish financial technology company Klarna is handling the credit payment process for the Xbox Series X/S All Access Packages in the UK, a bundle that allows customers to purchase a next-gen console and two years of Game Pass Ultimate for either £28.99 per month or £20.99 per month respectively.

While there's no upfront cost or interest, the catch is that there are risks to buying on credit: missed payments can lead to added fees, legal action, or potentially damage your credit score. And the latter became an issue for customers when it came to pre-ordering an Xbox, although not through any fault of their own.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.