Xbox Series X announced $499, Series S at $299 (Mega Update Thread)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Xbox Series X|S: Storage Woes:
In my reviews of the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, I pointed out that the ballooning size of modern video games was going to be problematic for the consoles going forward. Well, as much I like being proven right, I’m dismayed to tell you that I’ve already run out of storage on the Xbox Series X. And that’s the console with the most storage.

It should have been a cause for celebration: Yesterday, I received an email from Activision telling me that my Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War preorder could now be pre-loaded on my console so that I could begin playing it immediately on its release day next week, on November 12. So I powered up the Xbox Series X, searched for the title, navigated over to the store link, and pressed “Install All Now.”

I was told that I was out of storage space and would have to delete apps and/or games to make space.

Not good. What exactly was installed, you ask? Just six games: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (from the multiplayer beta), Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Dirt 5, Gears 5, and Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

I uninstalled that latter title because it was taking up over 100 GB of space, and I’m playing those games on the PC anyway. But I later realized that I could have removed the Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War beta and saved ~77 GB right there, since the full game downloaded next to it and I now have two entries for the same game in my Games list.

Anyway, that’s beside the point. With just 802 GB of free space on its 1 TB of internal storage, my Xbox Series X was full with just six titles installed. Six. Maybe this problem is yet another reason why Microsoft is pushing cloud game streaming these days: Games are getting too big to be stored locally on a console. And this problem is even more acute on the Xbox Series S, which arrives with a paltry 364 GB of available space.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Known Issues on Xbox Series X|S:
Hi there,

What an exciting time! The Xbox Series X|S have both launched and we hope you are enjoying your time with the next generation of gaming! In the event you do run in to any issues though, we have you covered. Some issues might be known issues and we have the proper teams hard at work to resolve these instances ASAP. Be sure to check below for any issue you might be experiencing. As we learn more about workarounds or potential resolutions, we will update this post. If your issue is not listed below, be sure to head on over to the Xbox Series X|S FAQ for further assistance. Happy gaming!
  • 4K/120hz
    • Known Issue: If you are using a 4K@120Hz TV that also supports VRR you might encounter no signal or corrupted image when the Xbox is configured for 4K120+VRR. This issue occurs with various TVs from LG, Samsung, or Vizio.
    • Workaround:
      • Update to the latest firmware on your TV
      • If the issue still persists, also consider trying the following:
        • Configure the console for 4K/60 with VRR by going to Setting> General> TV & display options> Video Modes> check the box for Allow variable refresh rate.
        • Configure the console for 4k/120 with no VRR by going to Setting> General> TV & display options> Video Modes> uncheck the box for Allow variable refresh rate. The resolution and refresh rates are found under “Display” in TV & Display options.
        • If you wish to experience 120hz and VRR, please configure for 1080p/120hz VRR or 1440p/120hz VRR by Setting> General> TV & display options> Video Modes> check the box for Allow variable refresh rate. The resolution and refresh rates are found under “Display” in TV & Display options.
      • If you are experiencing a corrupted image, here are your workarounds to reverting back to a safe video mode:
        • Restart your console and configure your video modes to one of the listed options above.
        • If you're still experiencing a corrupted image after restart, disable VRR on the TV. Please consult your TV manufactures on how to do this.
        • If the issue still persist after steps 1 and 2, perform the video mode reset sequence to get back to a safe state and configure for one of the two options above. To do this, follow the steps on this page here under “Your screen is blank after you turn on the console > Reset your display settings”.
  • EA Play app
    • Known Issue: The EA Play app will not launch or install on an Xbox Series X|S device.
    • Workaround: There is no workaround at this time but we are working with our app partners to find potential resolutions for the future. At this time, the app will only work on an Xbox One generation device.

If you are looking for ways to claim your 10-Hour trials for popular games like FIFA 21 or Madden 21 on an Xbox Series X|S device, you can find them in the Store. To do this, go to Store and Search for your game. Select the game desired from the search results and click on the “Free Trial with EA Play” button on the game description page.

If you are looking to play full games included with your EA Play subscription, you can access them in My Games & Apps > Full Library > EA Play.
  • Game Captures
    • Known Issue: Some users will see HDR captures appearing too dark when captured on Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S.
    • Workaround: There is no known workaround but a fix will be coming soon in a future console update.
  • BBC iPlayer app
    • Known Issue: The BBC iPlayer app will not launch or install on an Xbox Series X|S device.
    • Workaround: There is no workaround at this time but we are working with our app partners to resolve this. At this time, the BBC iPlayer app will only work on an Xbox One generation device.

• Q: Why isn’t the BBC app available on Xbox Series X|S?
    • A: Many of your favorite streaming apps like Netflix, Disney+, Spotify, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Twitch, Sky, Now TV and more, are on the Store waiting for you when you boot your new Xbox console. There are a small number of apps that are not yet available - like BBC iPlayer – but we are working with partners to add these as soon as possible.
  • DVD & Blu-ray playback
    • Known Issue: Some users may insert a DVD or Blu-ray into their console and encounter a black screen.
    • Workaround: If you are experiencing this, simply remove the disc from the console, restart the console, and then re-insert the disc into the console to watch your disc.
  • PeacockTV app
    • Known Issue: Some users will experience occasional pixelated frames while using the PeacockTV app on Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S.
    • Workaround: There is no known workaround at this time but the proper teams are working on a fix to be included in a future update.
  • Quick Resume
    • While Quick Resume is fully operational with thousands of titles, we are aware a select number of Optimized titles may be experiencing issues with this feature. To ensure the best possible experience for our fans, we’ve disabled the feature for these titles and are working as quickly as possible to fix this at the platform level.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
While console manufacturers have been more buddy buddy in recent years, tweeting out nice things about each other’s launches and even occasionally appearing on stage together at big events, each still has plenty of fans who can be super nasty. Over the weekend, Digital Foundry’s John Linneman shared a number of vile comments he’s received from both Xbox and Sony fans over the tech coverage and comparison videos he produces.

Clamping down on toxicity has been a big part of Xbox’s recent messaging. Last year, Spencer wrote a long blog post outlining the console manufacturer’s commitment to make gaming a safer, more inclusive space.

According to the Microsoft VP, social features like cross-play are part of an attempt to break down some of the toxicity around the idea of a war between the competing gaming platforms. “But there is a core that just really hates the other consumer product,” Spencer told Patel. “Man, that’s just so off-putting to me. Again, maybe that word is probably too light. To me, it’s one of the worst things about our industry.”

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Why I regret buying the Xbox Series X on day one:
I saw all of the warning signs; I knew what to expect on day one when I opened the box, but I blew right past those thoughts just to get my Xbox Series X pre-order before they were all sold out. I regret it and have no one to blame but myself, so let this serve as a warning. Just wait.

I bought both a PS5 and Xbox Series X on day one, and it frustrates me to say that one of these consoles will be collecting dust for months. It’s not even about the games (well a little bit), but rather the overall experience, and more specifically, the controller.

Xbox made a good console, for sure, but PlayStation defined what next-gen gaming actually feels like. If you’re thinking about getting an Xbox Series X right now, you should wait. Here’s why.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.