Xtreme Download Manager (Release and User feedback)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Dear Developer.. XDM is getting detected as suspicious( False positive)..by Avira Pro..Funny thing is all the files in the installation folder are being sent to Quarantine and after the restart its no longer available..even adding to exceptions seem not to work..
Most probably due to less file reputation ..it is being done so..Hope for a fix..Thanks

subhro

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 1, 2014
Dear Developer.. XDM is getting detected as suspicious( False positive)..by Avira Pro..Funny thing is all the files in the installation folder are being sent to Quarantine and after the restart its no longer available..even adding to exceptions seem not to work..
Most probably due to less file reputation ..it is being done so..Hope for a fix..Thanks
I will report a false positive to Avira. Could you please provide me the product version and update version?

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Its the latest version fully updated ..if u need specifically i have to reinstall XDM..if required i do so..
As i have uninstalled Avira..it worked..But better get it fixed for Avira users.. G data seems to like it ..Cheers !

subhro

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 1, 2014
Its the latest version fully updated ..if u need specifically i have to reinstall XDM..if required i do so..
As i have uninstalled Avira..it worked..But better get it fixed for Avira users.. G data seems to like it ..Cheers !
I am really becoming frustrated by these false positives. It badly impacts the image of the application. Most of the antivirus companies do not even has option to report false positive on their websites :mad::mad:

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
I am really becoming frustrated by these false positives. It badly impacts the image of the application. Most of the antivirus companies do not even has option to report false positive on their websites :mad::mad:
Kick in to Avira website ..search for sample submission..and attach the file with relevant details..Mostly it should work ..
better carry all these with your corporate id( @xdm..or similar)..response may be fast>

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Thanks for reporting this issue.
Could you please post your system details?
Like OS version, DirectX version
Do you have a NVIDIA graphics card?
Anyway there seems to be some issue of XDM with Direct X acceleration. Will fix this problem in next update
Hello subhro, I tested it on my other machine with Windows 10, DirectX 12, it has a GTX 760..

Reactions: Weebarra

Daviworld

Level 2
Verified
Feb 19, 2018
First time hearing about this tool, I'm eager to try it out. Sorry to hear about the false positive, if ESET report's it, I'll let you know, and also see if I can fix it myself without bugging you. Otherwise I am alway's happy to try out a useful open source tool.

Best,
Davi

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
First time hearing about this tool, I'm eager to try it out. Sorry to hear about the false positive, if ESET report's it, I'll let you know, and also see if I can fix it myself without bugging you. Otherwise I am alway's happy to try out a useful open source tool.

Best,
Davi
Running ESET here, and it's fine

Reactions: Daviworld and Azure

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I have few suggestions

1. When installing the software, Smartscreen in Windows blocks it [probably lesser known software?], I hope something can be done about it.
2. The UI could use some work. Maybe add a lighter theme? I like how the Settings pane flows and the transparency used.I really love the New Download dialog box of XDM. Probably the best. But the main UI could be improved [secondary suggestion]. In my opinion Ninja Download Manager has a great UI.
3. EagleGet allowed drag and drop of download tasks within it's main interface [re-arranging download tasks from the UI itself]. I didn't like how IDM queue schedules work, needing to go to Options pane to rearrange the order of download tasks. Can this be done?
4. Also keep a Queue button to the left-sidebar so that it can be directly accessed with a list of queue's shown directly from UI. It improves accessibility & download management a lot. Reference - EagleGet
5. The download window panel is showing even when opening new tab [non-video]. In my opinion, the panel should be shown only when the active window is playing the video. Or you could use the Chrome extension itself to capture the video (how EagleGet does it) instead of a pop-up bar which can be annoying if seen in different tabs.

Overall am impressed, and I have swithced to XDM. I have given examples of other download managers to put forward my thoughts to include the best bits from different download managers to make XDM even way better. :)

Last edited:

subhro

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 1, 2014
I have few suggestions

1. When installing the software, Smartscreen in Windows blocks it [probably lesser known software?], I hope something can be done about it.
2. The UI could use some work. Maybe add a lighter theme? I like how the Settings pane flows and the transparency used.I really love the New Download dialog box of XDM. Probably the best. But the main UI could be improved [secondary suggestion]. In my opinion Ninja Download Manager has a great UI.
3. EagleGet allowed drag and drag of download tasks within it's main interface [re-arranging download tasks from the UI itself]. I didn't like how IDM queue schedules work, needing to go to Options pane to rearrange the order of download tasks. Can this be done?
4. Also keep a Queue button to the left-sidebar so that it can be directly accessed with a list of queue's shown directly from UI. It improves accessibility & download management a lot. Reference - EagleGet
5. The download window panel is showing even when opening new tab [non-video]. In my opinion, the panel should be shown only when the active window is playing the video. Or you could use the Chrome extension itself to capture the video (how EagleGet does it) instead of a pop-up bar which can be annoying if seen in different tabs.

Overall am impressed, and I have swithced to XDM. I have given examples of other download managers to put forward my thoughts to include the best bits from different download managers to make XDM even way better. :)

Thanks @jackuars for suggestions.
Here are my thoughts.
1. To make smartscreen happy, I would have to sign the installer with a certificate (they cost more than $100 per year) which would not be possible for me.
2. Theme support is planned for future. Currently I would like to make current features more stable. Once thats more or less done, I would work on gui and improvements for queues.
3. There is gui problem is going to be fixed in next update.
4. About the download window panel... it can be moved to the chrome extension itself, but having a download panel lets you choose the video even after you have closed the tab.

One more thing. I consider you guys at MT are really aware of security and antivirus software's. Please report here wherever you get any warning/false positive from antivirus/anti malware software for XDM. I would contact the vendor to white list XDM.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Thanks for that.

Also if we create multiple queue's to download on-demand (unscheduled) it would be easier to manage the queue's from the main interface. Could you please give a provision to access queue's to download from either the left-side bar or as tabs in the main UI or even from the bottom bar?

Also another suggestion is to give a right-click context menu "move to xx queue" in case we want to move from default queue to another one or from one custom queue to another.

subhro

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 1, 2014
Thanks for that.

Also if we create multiple queue's to download on-demand (unscheduled) it would be easier to manage the queue's from the main interface. Could you please give a provision to access queue's to download from either the left-side bar or as tabs in the main UI or even from the bottom bar?

Also another suggestion is to give a right-click context menu "move to xx queue" in case we want to move from default queue to another one or from one custom queue to another.
Okay. I would put these suggestions to feature backlog.
Meanwhile you can move downloads to different queues from scheduler screen in settings

Reactions: jackuars

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Here's an example.
q8df8RP.png

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Okay. I would put these suggestions to feature backlog.
Meanwhile you can move downloads to different queues from scheduler screen in settings
Sure, I use it that way now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.