Not open for further replies.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
So I've been monitoring this software for over 2 years and was impressed at it's pace of development. I've been sticking myself to either EagleGet or IDM over this time period as they were better. But right now the time is right for the big switch as XDM has now implemented multiple queue's in it's latest update.

XDM by Subhra Das Gupta, is a free open-source download manager that works on Windows & Linux (Mac version is coming) . If you were a user of either EagleGet or IDM you would feel right at home, because XDM has the following features that made the other two popular

1. Media grabber: download from almost any website in various formats
2. Multiple Queue's: Scheduled/Unscheduled multiple download queue's
3. Refresh link: to continue downloading from expired download links
4. Multi-Browser integration: with Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi as well as Chromium & Firefox clones
5. Download categories: organize your downloads according to filetype
6. Download acceleration: using multiple threads/segments (upto 32)
7. Batch download: download a range of files from a webpage
8. Speed limiter: set download speed limit for files and adjust traffic usage
9: Sites manager: auto-authentication for websites
10: Proxy support: to work behind http & ftp proxy servers
11. Exclusions: according to file extension/website
12. Import/Export downloads: manage your downloads

and much more....

E0CoxM3.png

cB643SF.png

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I use IDM but for those looking for free alternative, I can say XDM is a great choice (y)
It gets many alerts from antiviruses but its clean. Its not a well known downloader like IDM or Eagleget and I think its not digitally signed so its process like browser monitoring, capturing links from clipboard would seem malicious to AVs.

Garzaman

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2017
Hi, now I'm testing it for the first time.

PROS: It's fast, comfortable and I can use it in Linux and Windows. Installing it is simple, as it should be.

CONS: It is not translated into my language. Its GUI is strange, with semitransparent windows that are placed on top of each other and make it difficult to see correctly.

I have been a Free Download Manager user (for me the best, since it can also download torrents), EagleGet (also very good experience) and Uget (I just uninstalled it). Why? very simple. You have to install the program, then Python, then create the path to Uget's executable, then the extension and when you think you've finished, you have to install another program (chrome-wrapper).

I recommend XDM to all those Linux and Windows users who don't want to turn extensions on and off every time they change systems.

Thank you @jackuars for showing this nice soft

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Installed FDM and like it(fast and same as IDM) but the extension wants some permission that I cant Accept. anyway, I will keep it but without extension.
FDM is a CPU hog
noticeable when you install its extension on chrome and firefox, try to load some random websites, you will see the CPU related to the extension's process will jump ~5-10% depend on your CPU type. Eagleget is a bit better + Eagleget speed is faster
moreover, FDM memory usage is high

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I don't like the fact that it uses java
I set OSA to block all java processes for security reason because many AVs are not good at blocking malwares infecting through java

I believe that it helps the software to be cross-platform and XDM Mac version is under development. I can assure you that it's free of any malware.

Java is a pre-requisite on my system as I used to work in Android app development. I think that enabling java on your browser and not on your system is a bigger threat of being infected.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I believe that it helps the software to be cross-platform and XDM Mac version is under development. I can assure you that it's free of any malware.
yes, I trust you
but it's a bit annoying for me to install a java-based program due to my restrictions. I have to unblock all the restrictions and install the programs
what's the advantages of XDM compared to Eagleget and how about the speed?

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
For me, it doesn't use any resource(175 MB ram and 0% CPU) but that extension is probably not safe and I will not install it.Eagleget has Adware.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
For me, it doesn't use any resource(175 MB ram and 0% CPU) but that extension is probably not safe and I will not install it.Eagleget has Adware.
FDM website is blocked by malwarebytes by default and not accessible
175MB is too much for a download manager
now I prefer switching to browser's built-in download manager
chrome 63+ browsers have parallel download and firefox 55/56 has downthemall (DTA)
chrome's parallel download sucks but it's welcome. DTA is 90% as good as standalone download managers

Last edited:
Reactions: Deletedmessiah
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.