Yahoo: All Our 3 Billion Users Were Hacked

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
yahoo-all-our-3-billion-users-got-hacked.jpg
The Yahoo hack saga continues, this time with more information provided by the company itself, who reckoned in a statement that more users were actually hacked in 2013 than it previously revealed.

Yahoo said in September 2016 that 500 million accounts got hacked in 2013 as part of what it described as a state-sponsored attack, albeit absolutely no specifics on the hacking group or the country behind the breach were provided.

Yahoo, however, released an updated statement in December to bump the figure to 1 billion, saying that it discovered evidence that twice as many accounts were hacked than it initially thought.

3 billion accounts compromised

And now the company returns with another statement, revealing that its original investigation actually pointed to a wrong number. So the hack didn’t affect 500 million or 1 billion accounts, but 3 billion records, which represented the entire userbase of Yahoo at that time. This means that all Yahoo users ... (read more)

Read more: Yahoo: All Our 3 Billion Users Were Hacked

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I'd tried this tool that @conceptualclarity had posted to find out if my account breach could be identified.
Turned out my father's wasn't and mine was, and I haven't been using Ymail for years, no important stuff ever.

This new info has been learned thanks to new intelligence obtained recently after Verizon closed its deal to buy Yahoo.
Verizon now has reason to believe that the number of compromised accounts includes "all Yahoo user accounts." That would put the total number of affected accounts at around 3 billion—about 40% of the world's population.
Verizon says the thieves in this case did not include unencrypted passwords, or any bank/payment card data.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
I'd tried this tool that @conceptualclarity had posted to find out if my account breach could be identified.
Turned out my father's wasn't and mine was, and I haven't been using Ymail for years, no important stuff ever.

This new info has been learned thanks to new intelligence obtained recently after Verizon closed its deal to buy Yahoo.

Could also sign up for Have I been pwned? Check if your email has been compromised in a data breach. You can check your email accounts to see if any have been compromised. It could also notify you if a breach occurs.

I'm sure glad that i never opened a Yahoo account. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.